Bleeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imajpm

Reaction score
Kinda need a cooler head than mine right now. I don't know if disaster has struck or a combination of mishaps.

I was out doing my evening feeding and I noticed Pony Boy, my junior buck, was bleeding from the nose. Shortly before this, the chickens were attempting to make a grain raid and there was a great deal of flapping about when they discovered they could not perch on the edge of a paper bag. They startled the rabbits nearby and this buck was one of them. My first though was he scratched or smashed his nose. When I finished I checked him again and there was more blood beneath his hutch. So I removed him, hutch and all, and put him in quarantine, just to be safe. Later I went out to turn their lights off and to check him again and I found more blood drops plus bloody but otherwise normal in appearance, poop under his hutch . I just checked him again and his poop is now normal, no blood, and his nose is good.

Today is the first day I resumed feeding fodder as well. He has never had any so it's new food to him. He is 4 months old right now. He is eating like a pig, drinking well and otherwise looks like himself. I did a visual check on the rest of the rabbits as I did not want to touch anything and they all look good. There has not been a new rabbit in my barn for 18 months, nor has there been any visitors since July. I've not been to any rabbitries either. I have new hay but they have been eating that for a week. Otherwise there have been no changes.

Pony Boy is my backup angora buck so I do not want to cull him if I am just being paranoid. It looks upsettingly like RHD but that is supposed to be eradicated from the US or at worst, very rare. What else could it be? I guess I will find out soon enough and I may have to cull him anyway if he has health issues :( That bleeding is worrisome.

I'd still say he banged his nose. Probably spooked into the wire. The blood on his poop was probably from his nose. He may have been eating cecotropes or cleaning himself. If it's drips and not running blood it will likely stop and heal on it's own. Noses can bleed a lot. I had a degu, so probably not even a 1lb animal, get his nose whacked by a running wheel with holes for jumping in and the aquarium was just splattered in blood. It was all over the 4'x2'h back panel and there were spots that it ran down objects. I'm guessing he sat in those places for a bit. By the time I found the amount of blood he was completely normal and I didn't see what a vet could do for a broken degu nose. I'd just make sure he keeps eating because if it swells or anything animals do not do as well without breathing through their nose and smelling food as humans do.

I had one get a toe caught in the wire and it dripped blood for a while... I think they just bleed easier in general. Hopefully it's just his nose and he'll heal up just fine...

Extreme stress can cause a bloody nose. I would only worry if it keeps happening.

I agree with Akane that the blood probably only dripped onto his poop. Unless he has rectal bleeding, the blood would be black in color, not red/"dried-blood-brown".

I hope it is nothing more than a banged up nose! :clover:

Ok whew thanks! I didn't think of blood transfer, was too busy panicking! I just checked him a few minutes ago and he is begging for his breakfast :) His nose looks spotless. I'll keep him separated for now.

imajpm":1smfw9l5 said:
Ok whew thanks! I didn't think of blood transfer, was too busy panicking!

:lol: Just another reason we are so blessed to have RT! :p

imajpm":1smfw9l5 said:
His nose looks spotless. I'll keep him separated for now.

Yay! I think he will be just fine. :)

I know! You guys are great :) Pony Boy is very happy to hear he won't be getting a pellet to the head for a bloody nose!

-- Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:59 am --

I am not really a fan of The Outsiders lol. My niece named him Pony Boy because she says he looks like a pony with his spectacular forelock. <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:01 am -- <br /><br /> All good. Pony Boy is enjoying his breakfast :)
0914151037.jpg

Latest posts

Back