Blacky II--questions...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
She dropped 2 this am; last litter was 4. Her sister has had 9 and 7. Nutrition? Genetics? too fat? I will foster the two over and rebreed to give her another go; two buns isn't productive enough for us.

I would give her a third try and cull her if not productive next time. Maybe try a different buck? JMO

Have you been using the same buck and is this the same buck you use with the others? Even if the buck is producing well with the others sometimes a pair just doesn't work out for some reason and using a different breeding animal will fix it.

Epic":3cvyn53g said:
I agree - try a new buck, some pairs just don't match up genetically.
What are you saying? That the doe's eggs are resistant to that buck's sperm?

Although I guess this doe would have to be given at least 2 more chances then.. each with a different buck. :)

I don't know all the reasons that could cause it but every now and then a particular pair of animals just won't produce well together. The female doesn't get pregnant or in the case of animals that give birth to litters they have very small litters while if you breed those animals to any other animal rate of pregnancy and litter size is just fine. It's even more common that stillborns and other problems are the result of 2 animals just not combining well. We had a mare that produced wonderful foals and never missed. We had a stallion that bred mares without fail and also produced wonderful foals. Together they failed to produce a foal the first year, after multiple months of trying produced 2 stillborns the next 2 years, and the 4th year the foal died after 2 days from a suspected heart problem. Bred out to any other horse they produced fine foals but together it was a disaster. We sold the mare and she went on to be a great broodmare in someone else's herd with a different stallion.

That's why you always test breed out to another male if you have one when a female is having repeated problems. It proves whether the problem is actually the female or the pair which could warn of other potential problems with your lines and combining them.

Latest posts

Back