Black?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I have 8 day old holland lop kits, sire: a very dark siamese sable point (owned by another breeder) and dam is: solid black. I have mostly only worked with sable points and torts. I only had a few broken black kits both all with one sable point parent and all of them are related to this solid black dam, all the kits where jet black, no brown cast. My question is: All 5 black kits (1 kit is a dark tort) have some brown cast to their fur? It's like the tips of the hair shafts are brown and you can notice it when you just look at them. In low light they do look black but in natural sun light the brown tenting (?) is easy to spot making them look "off" and they seem to be getting lighter or look more "off" if that makes sense. I know it's not the light doing it as you can see the brown in low light but it's just more obvious in natural lighting. I'm wondering if perhaps some other genes are at play such as the shaded gene (if they carry it) messing with black so making it not a "clean" black? Here is one kit with what I'm talking about:

In low light it looks black
8136908_orig.jpg

With natural light shining on it's face you can really see the brown cast. Some kits have it more than others, I have one you barely see any of the brown cast.
4304898_orig.jpg

In this pic you can see it on it's hips a little, just enough to throw it off color wise. Kind of like brown ticking?
2312957_orig.jpg

Here is the bunch at 6 days old. The kit at the bottom of the picture, you can make out the brown ticking/cast whatever it is lol
2652798_orig.jpg

The dam to this litter, she only has tort, black and solid blue in her ped but she could be carrying a shaded gene from several generations behind but I can't confirm that. The sire is like I said a really dark siamese sable, very similar to this one: http://rabbit-stock.deviantart.com/art/ ... -164440585 but maybe a tad darker.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this is common for blacks or perhaps they are really dark siamese sables or seals?

Seal is a possibility or there is an "extra dark" gene (similar to Rufus factors that create rich dark reds instead of fawn or orange) that is not well documented and perhaps these kits are self black but lack this, or these, darkening factors.

All of my self blacks are rusty looking and many of my chinchilla kits will look smutty but it clears out by 8 weeks and they are a nice sharp chin colour so your kits may darken as well.

Ok yeah that makes sense, I thought I was seeing things with these kits lol Yeah they are for sure not jet black like my other black kits I've had in the past. I'll post some updated pics when they mature a bit. ^_^

Here they all are at 10 days old today. :)

9924055_orig.jpg

1562717_orig.jpg

9896068_orig.jpg

6814510_orig.jpg

Back