Black with lilac flecks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
I have been looking through websites, trying to see examples of what a good mini rex should look like. The breeder I got my MR from has a black MR doe for sale that is black, but she claims has lilac flecks (couldnt see thewm in the pic). She said even though she cant be shown she would be good to use as a brood doe because she will throw lilac kits.

I am still learning about genetics, so correct me if i am wrong since she is black she wouldnt carry the lilac gene right? since lilac is the dilute of chocolate? Her dad is black (only black in his ped)and mom is chocolate (from blue and choco parents) if that helps.

I am pretty sure that it is not possible for a black rabbit to also have lilac on it, I am not sure why, but I have heard that it's not possible.

Lilac is a combination of dilute and chocolate which black can carry both. Dilute of black is blue and we know she carries chocolate with one chocolate parent. Whether she carries dilute to turn that chocolate in to lilac can't be told.

The doe's mother is a chocolate from Blue and a chocolate parents which means she does carry chocolate and dilute. She may produce any of these colours depending on what she is bred to, HOWEVER having "flecks" of any kind is funky and probably something genetic which may be passed on to the new offspring, I don't understand why this would make her a good brood doe?? I will say its totally impossible for a black doe to "show" the colour lilac along with black! Do you have a link to this picture?

The doe's mother is a chocolate from Blue and a chocolate parents which means she does carry chocolate and dilute.

The mother being from a blue does not guarantee the offspring of that doe carries dilute. There's only a 50% chance she got it. We can guarantee chocolate and black but not lilac and blue.

I do agree it does not make her a better brood doe. I've never had lilac to other color breedings bleed through. It should be completely covered. If the rabbit is showing 2 colors it is either not black and someone doesn't know what they are doing or a genetic anomaly that might pass on to the offspring making them not show quality either.

I didnt know if I was allowed to post her website, if not feel free to remove it :) http://www.burdnest.net/
The does name is Noel. Just a note I never planned on buying her, I just was looking through trying to learn more about colors.

I was thinking that was kind of a far stretch that she would throw lilacs, since she is black. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt nuts in thinking that! :lol:

I doubt she has lilac flecks. She may have scattered white hairs, which the breeder is mistaking for lilac possibly? She doesn't look like a bad rabbit, but the fur issue would scare me off.

Wow if you blow up the pic that rabbit sure is sunburnt. There'd be no way to determine the true quality of her coat at this point. She's half brown.

Back