black otter kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
So everyone has furred out, and the agouti marked black kits are still black, so they are otters. I have one black otter and what looks like two broken black otters. When will the otter (tan) markings come in? There is just a hint of tan around its nose.

also I read that the difference between otters and agoutis is the agouti has a dot of color under its chin and the otter doesn't. Obviously this is wrong because my agoutis and the otters had dots under their chins, except for the brokens. The brokens get the tan triangle too, right?

The otter has a tan triangle at the base of its neck, tan in the nostrils and tan inside the ears, it also has a tan belly that fades to the cream/white. Otters' fur pretty much starts out with the correct markings, The black will have no rings at all while the castor will start showing rings as the fur gets to its full length. The brokens will show the otter markings wherever the white hasn't covered it out. So depends on the amount of white how much 'otter" you will see.

Devon's Mom Lauren":3b6mto55 said:
The otter has a tan triangle at the base of its neck, tan in the nostrils and tan inside the ears, it also has a tan belly that fades to the cream/white. Otters' fur pretty much starts out with the correct markings, The black will have no rings at all while the castor will start showing rings as the fur gets to its full length. The brokens will show the otter markings wherever the white hasn't covered it out. So depends on the amount of white how much 'otter" you will see.

Right now this otter has no tan triangle, its about a week old. There is a skin colored spot on the back of the neck, no fur there yet. There is a little tan around the nose, and the belly is still white. The castors are very obvious, and have been since about day four, when the fur changed to castor color, white the agouti marked blacks stayed black. It is only the presence of the cream in ears, around the eyes and nose markings that leads me to believe it's an otter, but I would have assumed the tan triangle would appear at about the same time the castors began to change colors. Unless there is another explanation why a solid black kit would have agouti markings if it wasn't an otter. It is very confusing, as I thought I would have seen the otter markings from the very beginning.

The triangle should come in with the fur. How old are the kits? I am assuming that this is a castor-otter cross, correct? If so you shouldn't get anything other than castors,otters or selfs (or rews if they both carry cc lol).

Devon's Mom Lauren":1mefzodw said:
The triangle should come in with the fur. How old are the kits? I am assuming that this is a castor-otter cross, correct? If so you shouldn't get anything other than castors,otters or selfs (or rews if they both carry cc lol).

Today is day Ten. Not sure why the tan didn't show up first. wondering if that means anything about the quality of the color? I can now see a light tan coming in where the pink skin is, but not as tan as I expect.
I got broken castors, a castor, a broken black, two broken otters and an otter. The sire does carry REW, but the dam does not.<br /><br />__________ Thu May 17, 2012 3:03 pm __________<br /><br />Otter

106_2480.jpg

broken otters

106_2488.jpg

little bit on tan under the ears now.

ACK!!! Cute!

Since you don't want brokens, you can send that little bugger to California!

MamaSheepdog":1njy1ddp said:
ACK!!! Cute!

Since you don't want brokens, you can send that little bugger to California!

If I could figure out how to pack em I would ship em. Spread the otter love, broken or not.

Yeah! Spread the love, baby! :mrgreen: I would love to have some otters!

I am glad you are finally getting some. :D

Back