Black New Zealand / White New Zealand's

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
I have 8 New Zealand white does and 1 New Zealand White buck. I also have a New Zealand Black buck who I am in love with. Great quality excellent temperament. I traded my Woolies for 3 10 week old pedigrees quality NZB bucks. I am tempted to keep one of them also. My New Zealand white buck is also very sweet but not the quality I want. I have someone who wants my NZW buck. I am selling 3 of my NZW does this month. My worry is if I start breeding the black into my whites is having uniform color for meat pens for fair. Four of my children do meat pens at fair and I sell some. The breeder of the black bucks has two nice does to move on. One is a NZB doe which is the mother of my first young NZB buck. The other doe is a broken black NZ doe. Both have large litters. The black is 12 pounds. She said to make offer and she is up for trades. I have a used triple stack that she is interested in. Is a trade for triple stack cage for 2 proven pedigreed does fair? I want to be fair for both of us. This is a breeder who I like and respect. Should I go ahead and send off my white unpedegreed buck? 3 of the white does I'm keeping don't have full pedigrees but two do. All the black bucks are full pedigree and quality. Since I ha e started back with rabbits I have constantly improved my stock and sold off those who were not the higher quality. I'm having a hard time sending off my white buck though. I would get the does in a few months after their litters are weaned and can get rebred to any of her other bucks before I get them. This gives me time to make my new cages before they come and clean out the triple stack.

Here, a row of 3 cages (vertical cages are unheard of) that are 36 x 24 would cost $100 new and around $75 in good condition used, while a pair of pedigreed and proven NZB does would be closer to $120 so I wouldn't consider that an even trade but cage costs could be different in your area and NZ's very common.

Unless you know if your NZW are genetically blacks or if the NZB buck carries REW I wouldn't cross breed.

Triple stack cages are going used around $120-$150. Here. That's with feeders and trays. My whites are pure white in the background. Dood could you please explain why you wouldn't cross colors? I want to make a good informed decision.

3 stackers with pans that size run $300, where are you guys finding them for just a hundred bucks????

REW can be any colour under the white coat so there are a lot of unknowns - genetically = __ __ cc __ __
And blacks also have a lot of unknowns - genetically = aa B_ C_ D_ E_

Breeding the two togeather will likely produce a mixed litter of chestnuts, gold tipped steel and possibly blacks and whites. You need 3 identical kits for a meat pen and your chances would be slim to none without knowing the colour genetics of your stock.

I bought my two hole 72 x 30 cages ( no trays) new for 69.89 plus tax at Grandview Rabbitry in Southern Ontario - http://grandviewrabbitry.com/store/cate ... bbit-Cages

Here in Texas, a bank of three cages 36 x 30 is about $135 new, that is with 14g double dipped GAW wire with babysaver.

boy wish i could find a triple stacker for less then $100. Even the rusted out junky ones are at least $50. Ive been needing at least 1 and have asked everywhere for a stacker for my daughter and ive only been offered ones for $100 plus. Right know i dont got that kind of money.
And new ones cost about what there asking for them used. At least the size i want.

Back