Biting clothes, pls help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiouslagomorph

Reaction score
Thankfully Jun o is feeling more herself (almost done with conjunctivitis treatment).

Unfortunately, Her being herself means
she playfully bites my clothes!
Before this was fine as I had a fkeece, thick tshirt and teddy coat.
But now it's warmer and I've not got the fleece or coat on as much and in summer I won't at all, so these bites are going straight through and bliming hurt.

I know it's playful as my other rabbit does the same think while honking happily. Juno also chews and digs on clothes when they are on the floor too.

I want to be able to hold and stroke her (she does like this and licks me back) but I don't want to be bitten through my clothes (even if it's playful).

New buck has started play biting my clothes now too and he's while he's only little, I don't want this to be a new thing.

How do I get her to not bite my clothes (I'm wearing) while I play with her?
It hurts as it catches my skin now. but I can't "squeak" (my asthma stops me) to say no or put her down (as she doesn't really see it as punishment and I don't want her to think she can have her way by biting, I know when bored or restless, so she doesn't need to do that aswell).

Suggestions that don't work or won't help sadly-
can't squeak as lose voice due to asthma

putting down would reinforce she wants down by biting (gets out down when bored or restless anyway)

can't be spayed as breeding doe

do you have any suggestions that are not stated above?

Thankfully Jun o is feeling more herself (almost done with conjunctivitis treatment).

Unfortunately, Her being herself means
she playfully bites my clothes!
Before this was fine as I had a fkeece, thick tshirt and teddy coat.
But now it's warmer and I've not got the fleece or coat on as much and in summer I won't at all, so these bites are going straight through and bliming hurt.

I know it's playful as my other rabbit does the same think while honking happily. Juno also chews and digs on clothes when they are on the floor too.

I want to be able to hold and stroke her (she does like this and licks me back) but I don't want to be bitten through my clothes (even if it's playful).

New buck has started play biting my clothes now too and he's while he's only little, I don't want this to be a new thing.

How do I get her to not bite my clothes (I'm wearing) while I play with her?
It hurts as it catches my skin now. but I can't "squeak" (my asthma stops me) to say no or put her down (as she doesn't really see it as punishment and I don't want her to think she can have her way by biting, I know when bored or restless, so she doesn't need to do that aswell).

Suggestions that don't work or won't help sadly-
can't squeak as lose voice due to asthma

putting down would reinforce she wants down by biting (gets out down when bored or restless anyway)

can't be spayed as breeding doe

do you have any suggestions that are not stated above?
The biting/nipping you're describing sounds like dominance behavior, and should be responsive to some training and changes in how you interact with her.

Here is a thread where I gave a fairly lengthy description of the behavior and what has worked for us to correct it:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/help-rabbit-is-attacking-me.35974/#post-350483

Redirect her attention with a nubbly treat. When you pick her up, have a treat she loves ready for her. When she starts licking you (returning the grooming favor), put the treat under nose, between your skin and her mouth.

Encourage her to lick on the treat instead. The goal is to get her to use the treat to bite on, instead of you. I have noticed with bonded rabbits, they groom each other quite roughly sometimes. I have seen them bite each other as a part of grooming. I have also seen intense grooming sessions that resulted in the occassional bald spot.

If you are petting her, she may see that as you grooming her. All your rabbits would see it as grooming, and try to return the favor. So my suggestion would be redirection of her affection. You are still grooming, she is still grooming, and no one is coming away with a bad experience.

I use bunny treats that I make at home. I cook oatmeal to a mash, add rabbit pellet dust, hay bits, and water. Mix it all up, form donuts from dough, and dehydrate them. Sometimes I add BOSS and rolled oats, sometimes I don't.

Use a treat that is not a sweet treat, or something high is sugar. You want it to be healthy so you can safely give it to her multiple times a day or week, or how ever often you play with her.

Covering rabbit's face or pressing the head down will sometimes work. Although it could cause your rabbit to lose trust in your relationship. Rabbits will naturally stop what they are doing when the face is covered.

However, they may not stay that way for very long before they get bored with it and try to run away. Some rabbits just fall asleep like that too. It really depends on the rabbit.

If it were a bun around here, there'd be a thump on the nose for biting behaviors of any type. Not a hard hurt kinda thump, just a 'wake up and pay attention' kinda thump. I don't think they can see directly in front of their nose, they always seem shocked to have the nose touched.

How about diverting attention with a toy? My rabbit loves playing with a paper towel tube.
As long as it's not considered a reward for bad behavior, it might help.
I'm new here & don't know anything about rabbits so keep that in mind before taking any advice from me.

Back