Biter's Repreive

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
A while back, the only bunny who ever bit me was put on the freezer nap list pending attempted breeding. I spared her because she was once someone's pet, but she opened my finger up almost to the bone.

She had later tried to attack me when I cleaned her hutch. A failed breeding and subsequent refusals to breed put her closer to the chopping block. She had used up more than her three strikes.

I had forgotten that she was rebred and my need to make room for my pending Texas A&M rabbits put her on the pending freezer list. An unrelated injury to my right arm and bad weather spared her until I was ready to process last week. I checked the rabbit records and her nestbox was due to be prepared the next day.

Last night, she rewarded me with 9 wigglers. :)

Fate worked in her favor! :lol:

I'm glad you were spared butchering a pregnant rabbit- that would have been a nasty surprise. :x

Now that she has kindled, you may be able to change her attitude.

During kindling and lactation, the hormone prolactin is released. It is commonly called "the feel-good hormone" because it produces a loving euphoria in moms of all species which helps them to bond with their young.

Take the time to pet her a couple of times a day, especially in this first week. I have tamed even semi-feral barn cats this way. Prior to having kittens they would not consent to being touched, but when they are with their kittens they will purr and roll around like we are the best things in the world.

Once they associate you with that feeling, they will always remember. It will not change once their litters are weaned. Of course, she may have her bouts of hormonal nastiness if she want to be bred and she is prone to that, but my does are not like that, so that is pure speculation on my part.

Congratulations on the kits!

Yeah, that would have been a not so good surprise. That's good advice, MSD. I'll pet her as much as I can. I can only do it in the evenings because of work, but she seemed to really enjoy being petted last night.

:)

She may be one like my Sassy, great mother, beautiful conformation but, she has this thing of there needing to be a set number of each type of thing in her cage, and taking anything w/o first putting a replacement in there is asking to be bitten. I want to give her a clean nest box, I put a new one in, then remove the old one. New water nibbler, the new goes in before the old goes out. Clean bedding, same deal, a pile of new then remove the old. If I forget, I get reminded with a bloody hand or finger.

She get to stay until she's 6 then the wolfdog can have her (after I butcher her).

Latest posts

Back