Birds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
I'm curious... what are the pros/cons of chickens vs. ducks vs. cornish hens vs. other poultry? For instance, which is less nosier? more friendly? yummier? easier to care for and why? or, isn't there a type of bird that is also good as a guard bird (as in, alerts when people come)?
:)

Geese are great yard guards, so are peafowl. Peafowl make noise while geese are more ah, physical along with their noise. In my limited experience, all fowl are fairly similar in their requirements.
The Cornish hens you buy in the store are just very small chickens, not anything exotic.

We have chickens and Muscovy Ducks. We love our Muscovys as they dont need to have a big water area to swim in. Just a tub to drink out of. They are quiet and quite friendly. WE also have bantam chickens but next year I plan to get some faverolles. I heard they are very tame, hardy and good winter layers.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 pm __________<br /><br />Oh we also eat our duck eggs. They are every yummy. My kids prefer the duck eggs to the chicken eggs.

I have chickens (bantams and full size), ducks (Cayuga and Khaki Campbell) I have had (runner, buff and Pekin ducks), currently have Geese (Brown Chinese, White China, Toulouse, Brown African). The Cayuga ducks can lay around 200 eggs a year and will go broody. The Khaki Campbell ducks can outlay a chicken but do not go broody, I plan on hatching some of my Khaki Campbell eggs under the Cayuga ducks.
Cornish hens are just a type of chicken, the Cornish Chicken - I named my Cornish rooster drumstick. To me they look like they would have good drum sticks - I have only sent 2 bantam hens and 3 of bantam roosters to fc (so far) and he was not one of them, so I do not know, yet.
- Chickens, if you use the deep litter method (I use oak leaves), have a tarp roof so the leaves stay dry, and do not overstock can be very easy to keep. If I get a rooster that is aggressively breeding, he gets separated / caged next to the hens for a week at a time, till he figures out that he is required to court them. Has to find food for them and call them to it, dance for hen first instead of just jumping the hen, so on. I cull any egg eaters, or chickens that are overly aggressive. Chickens do have a pecking order, but if I see a chicken being chased by another for over 5 to 10 mins at a time, over several days - fc. My chickens are good bug, banana peal, watermelon rind, potato and any other vegetable or fruit (they can get) - eaters.
- Ducks and Geese -- walking poop factories. Go after ANY water that they can get to. They are messy pigs. Kept my yard beautifully. I did not have to mow and my grass looked like a golf course, till I got the geese - now my yard is dry barren dirt. The 7 (3 month old) geese are overstocked and as soon as I get them all sexed and banded, 4 of them will be going.
- My geese have been noisier than any cat, that I have owned, and are constantly 'commenting', usually loudly.

-- Guard dog type bird - jumbo pekin ducks and White Chinese Geese can have about the same level of agression. The other geese and ducks, that are here, have been more laid back.
-- Yummier? My bantam chickens have dressed out at a bit over a pound. Unless you want chickens that will go broody and can hatch your duck or geese eggs. I suggest larger chickens. I will be sending some of my ducks and at least one (of the extra male) geese to fc, later this year, and will be able to tell you, then. yummmm :)
- No coyotes, just possum, coon and owl. - so - I have my geese free - watching out for my ducks, ducks closer to house, watching out for chickens, chickens in coop Ft. Knox - asleep.

-- My questions.
How much space and what type of space do you have for them.
Do you plan on have the birds on pasture or buying feed?
Do you know what chicken tractors are?
Have you plucked a chicken or water fowl, before?
How many are you interested in starting with?
What predators and what type of protection from predators, do you have? LGD?

Oh, goodness... depends so much on the breeds of birds. I love my Pilgrim geese: gentle, funny, mischievous and very sociable. The gander can get a bit snarky during breeding season, but he is not mean. They holler if anyone comes around and they holler any time they hear an unusual noise... but only for a minute. Pilgrims are auto-sexing: the females are grey with dark eyes like a Toulouse and the males are white with blue eyes like an Embdem. Unfortunately, Pilgrims often have fertility problems, so I do not get goslings. But they are great yard birds and I believe their size and noise keeps predators away from my free-ranging chickens.

I've had chickens for about nine years now. I started with Speckled Sussex (wonderful birds but a bit noisy) and then tried Dominiques. Right now I have Welsummers, Cuckoo Marans, one white leghorn and one Red Star. I like the Welsummers and the Leghorn is a character. The others, not so much, but they do deliver the eggs. I still regret getting out of the Speckled Sussex and will likely go back to them if I get more chickens.

Ducks [maybe geese] are the easiest to care for.
Ducks are far friendlier than geese, though.
Chickens need to be babied for a long time and integrating them with other chickens can be a big issue.

Ducks, if only hatched when it's warm out, need heat for 2-3wks and then they are fine out on the ground.

Bad about ducks, need water pools. Worse yet, need to be fed a ton all the time to get a good amount of meat...thus I no longer raise Pekin, I am not dumping all my money on feeding them...

But, they have never gotten sick! My chickens have gotten sick so many times in the past, you cannot over crowd chickens, they will all get sick and die on you. Ducks are hardier.

Pekin ducks do not fly away, so no need to trim wings. Other ducks, may get over fencing. Mallards will fly.

Guinea fowl for alarm, but my Guinea never shut up!
My Pekin ducks greet me, they hunt me down quacking at me when they hear me open doors, gates or pass a window on the back side of the house. Very personable.

Chickens can be fairly quite.

Geese, visited a few people with them, they never maid any noise at me...

I used to show chickens. I might again for bug control and eggs. But my aunt raises bob whites and courtunix. They would be good for meat bird. You have to have an incubator but at 8-10weeks their full grown and breeding. bob whites you have to have a licence though, she raises them for release. But they arnt big so a couple would feed my family of 4.

wow... well, I can't have poultry now (live in a small town) but I want to have them when/if we move to the country. I would not want to buy feed- and so they would probably be free ranging with a coop for the night. I think I would raise for eggs and meat.
So,
~Geese: good yard guards. poop a lot and strip the land of grass.
~Ducks: quiet, friendly. poop a lot. make a water mess- unless they are Muscovy. eat a lot. Lay lots of eggs. less likely to get sick. Pekin seems to be common.
~Chicken: more aggressive toward each other (although culling can help a lot with that), and noisy. Welsummers and Leghorn recommended. :)

What type of breeds would you recommend? Which breeds are good for eggs and meat?

~Ducks: quiet, friendly. poop a lot. make a water mess- unless they are Muscovy. eat a lot. Lay lots of eggs. less likely to get sick. Pekin seems to be common.

I love our Muscovy. They are friendly, quiet, dont need allot of water, easy to care for, can free range, Just cut the flight feathers of one wing, and the produce lots of yummy eggs. I find that ours are quite willing to sit and hatch some for future meat as well. I prefer them to our chickens.

I love my Muscovy! Bought 3 and 2 have died for unexplained reasons :( I recommend buying a good amount of them. I let them free range and they eat all the unwanted bugs.<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:06 pm __________<br /><br />I love my Muscovy! Bought 3 and 2 have died for unexplained reasons :( I recommend buying a good amount of them. I let them free range and they eat all the unwanted bugs.

The cortunix can be kept in city :) their not very big. A lot of people keep their mini version as pets-button quail. And some people keep these as pets too.

OK, if I get ducks, I think I will get Muscovy. Thanks!
wow, i never thought of saying that livestock were pets- that's a great idea! :D

Muscovy are one of the only ducks, that are 'normally' kept domestically --- > That fly.
Unless you get along well with your neighbors, they may get upset, by ducks that fly.
I started out with bantam chickens. Big enough to lay a 'grade A small egg' but small enough, that few people would be intimidated by them. This last year, the only baby bird that has been lost, was due to a larger Goose chick, not seeing it and stepping on it. Bantams can be pretty sturdy birds!

I love our Mille fluers too. They are sassy little birds but very fun to watch and pretty. But if you have small kids keep them away from the roosters. We turn our excess roosters loose to eat bugs and they tend to try and get our youngest (2 1/2 yrs) son from time to time.
We clip our Muscovys flight wings just a bit and that keeps them from flying the coop....

tm_bunnyloft":2c9bdblh said:
We turn our excess roosters loose to eat bugs and they tend to try and get our youngest (2 1/2 yrs) son from time to time.

Watch out with that. I read of a toddler girl getting spurred in the eye and blinded by a rooster. I used to trim the spurs on my roosters to blunt the tips. I used large dog nail clippers to do it. I am not sure how short you can go, and whether or not they have a "quick" like other claws, but I bet they do.

Guinea fowl can be tamed when young (imprinted by humans). Also, they do have an "intruder alert" call. Better yet, they will catch small snakes and harass larger snakes--helping keep rabbit kits safe (?)or at least safer. They also eat ticks and sleep in trees if not couped at night, so are less likely to be eaten by coyotes.....they are African yard fowl and not related to the domestic chicken, can forage for most if not all their feed and will not damage garden plants while hunting for bugs--they do not scratch (I'm told). The keats can be expensive--like $5 each.

They only go out when he is in the house after I caught them the first time pecking his feet and chasing him. That is why I say watch out for the roosters. mean little buggers!!!

How well did your Mille Fluers lay eggs to eat, and produce young for meat? Are they big enough for meat?
Clipping flight feathers is a good idea, although I prefer not to, if that's possible.
Clipping the spurs is a great idea!
Guinea fowl sound like good birds too. They won't damage the garden, but they will still eat the bugs? That's a huge plus

They are bantams but they are chunky little birds. We haven't butchered any yet but plan to soon. I get about an egg a day from them and the eggs are half the size of regular large eggs. I am thinking they would be the size of cornish hens or a small chicken at the grocery store. Ours also want to set but we have not let them as of yet. Next spring we will I think..... Oh and with the mille the hens are about as pretty as the roosters.
http://www.strombergschickens.com/produ ... ken-Chicks

Another nice bird is the salmon faverolles. They are a calm bird and they are good layers and cute. I am adding these to my flock in the spring.
http://www.strombergschickens.com/produ ... egg-layers

__________ Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:24 pm __________

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/
Cackle hatchery allows smaller orders. I believe you can get 5 chicks of a type. They make you order 15 total minimum order so maybe you could split it with some friends. If you live in town that is.

Your in the city and some cities do not allow roosters, or the rooster's crowing, that starts about 3am till daylight.
I grabed a panel dog kennel 10ftx10ft by 6ft off of cl. Gave them some water, feed and roosts - then found out why they call it
'hen pecked'! :)

Latest posts

Back