Bill Of Sale?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanrose

Reaction score
Ok, call me crazy, but I keep thinking that there should be a bill of sale when I sell a rabbit. I came up with the following last night:

OCEANSIDE ANGORAS SALES AGREEMENT:

Rabbit Name _______________________________ Ear Number____________

Sire_____________________

Dam____________________

Birthdate________ MALE FEMALE SHOW QUALITY FIBER QUALITY

Date of Sale________________ Sale Price__________________

Buyer Name__________________________________

Address____________________________________________

Phone Number_______________________

Email_________________________

Health Guarantee
All of our rabbits are healthy and to the best of the sellers knowledge are healthy at the time of sale.. . The buyer has been given a chance to thoroughly inspect the above rabbit at the time of sale.
We guarantee health for 1 week. If in that time the rabbit passes away, a replacement of the same value will be provided at the earliest possibility. We are not responsible for any vet bills incurred. Limit of 1 (one) such replacement.
Rabbits are sensitive creatures and often do not show illnesses until very sick. While we maintain our rabbits in excellent health, we strongly recommend any rabbit purchased be kept in quarantine for a minimum of 2-4 weeks, away from any current rabbits.

No guarantee is made of the rabbit's future show quality, or of future wins. At the time of sale, to the knowledge of the seller the above rabbit DOES DOES NOT have disqualifications.

Known Disqualifications_____________________________________

Oceanside Angoras, will take back above rabbit at any time during it's life, no money to be refunded. Oceanside Angoras does not recommend fiber quality rabbits be bred, or that any rabbit is bred without a plan in place to produce quality offspring who will be sold into caring homes.

Buyer agrees to provide a safe environment, correct diet, clean water, and a minimum of weekly grooming to keep the rabbit in good condition, free of mats, and healthy. Buyer understands that a rabbit is an 8-10 year commitment.

Then I could keep a copy in my records. Or am I going overboard?

I provide a receipt upon request. I keep my own notes as to the rabbit's breeding, colour, gender and ear number. The health guarantee information is included in the care packet I email them, and I retain the final email from them, which covers price, what we've discussed, and basically everything from the back and forth from first contact to purchase.

I do, however, have a contract and receipt made up for all Easter bunny rentals, which will be signed and dated, and kept in a file.

I like it and if you don't mind I might use it in the future, without the Oceanrose name of course. The only question I have is how do you know that the persons rabbit did really die and they aren't just lying to get a second rabbit for free?

Feel free to use it. I am adding another thing in regarding proof. Maybe signed by a vet? I figure most people are honest - especially after they've exchanged a ton of emails with me.. But you never know.

Hmmm, I think proof would also have to be dependent on the type of rabbit sold and the reason for the buyer buying. For instance, if I sold a rabbit it would be a meat rabbit sold more than likely, though some people would keep NZW or Cali's for pets. Meat rabbit would be hard to get proof since the rabbit will likely be eaten.

As far as Angora's are concerned I would still be hesitant even about them taking it to a vet for the simple reason that some might not have the money to take the rabbit to the vet as some vets consider rabbits exotic animals which increases the price to have them looked at.

I'm not saying any of this to argue, just bringing it up in case it hadn't been thought of yet :)
Either way, I still think its a great idea.<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 pm __________<br /><br />Started thinking about it and off the top of my head I supposed it could be put in the receipt that in order to exchange a rabbit which had died that either a vet signature would be required or carcass. The carcass is kind of morbid for most people though I would think. I'm sure someone on here has something like this already thought out though.

Overall, it sounds very good, but I do have a suggestion for rewording a portion of the agreement:

To the best of the sellers knowledge, all rabbits are healthy at the time of sale. The buyer has thoroughly inspected the above rabbit prior to purchase.

You might also stipulate that if a rabbit is returned, a cage must be provided.

OK I changed it to read the following:

We guarantee health for 1 week. If in that time the rabbit passes away, a replacement of the same value will be provided at the earliest possibility. We are not responsible for any vet bills incurred. Limit of 1 (one) such replacement. Proof of death within the one (1) week's time must be signed by a licensed veterinarian, and provided to the seller within 14 days.

I also extended the end paragraph.

As of the date of sale listed above, buyer accepts all rights and responsibilities of listed rabbit. Seller will not be held liable for any damage or health issues except as outlined above. Buyer agrees to provide a safe environment, correct diet, clean water, and a minimum of weekly grooming to keep the rabbit in good condition, free of mats, and healthy. Buyer understands that a rabbit is an 8-10 year commitment.

My thought is if you have a signed sheet of paper, it's hard for them to come back and complain later. Not impossible, but harder. I also reworded more toward MSD with that, and added the word buyer or agent in case of another person transporting.

Oceanside, I would also suggest that you change the word "guarantee" to "warantee" ... it is a bit nit picky, but the meaning of both words implies a whole different set of values in a court of law (IANAL) ... guarantee means (THE RABBIT IS NOT ILL), warantee means (THE RABBIT HAS NOT SHOWN SIGNS OF ILLNESS - but things happen beyond my control). If you have an attorney, you might want to get his opinion on this.

I would also add an exclusion of replacement for injury.

You might also live in a state with "buyer beware" laws that would protect you no matter how or why the animal died.

Back