BIG cal litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBA

Reaction score
My doe Alice, had her babies this morning. Her first litter was on a -20 day and all died. That was a litter of 8. Her next litter, she had 12, 3 died or were still born, the remaining 9 all grew great and thrived.
Today was her third litter. She had 15! One was DOA, 11 were warm and snuggly under a pile of fur at the back of the nest box. 3 were huddled together on top of the hay at the front of the nest box.

I moved the three to the nest with the rest, but then took two of the smallest and put them in with a litter of 6 thriantas that were born yesterday afternoon.

Other thrianta doe is acting like she will kindle today, if she has a medium or small litter, I will probably put a couple cal babies in with her too.

But, Holy Smokes, a litter of 15!!! Wow, I'm just amazed. <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 16, 2015 9:59 am __________ <br /><br /> Well, the other thrianta just gave birth, well, sometime in the last hour and a half or so. Big babies, but only two of them. She now also has a pair of californians in her little nest.

Yeah, especially since the thriantas were 2 days and 3 days late.

WOW! :p

That's great that you could foster... it helps that litter of two, as well, since they may not have been able to stay warm enough. :D

I'm still just absolutely floored by that, 15 kits and only one DOA.
I'm sure she had the last three away from the nest knowing she wouldn't be able to care for that many, which shows she has very good maternal instincts.

I also think a few will likely die in the next couple of days as there are a few only about half the size of some of the others.

I just want to see at least three grow big and strong and fast. County fair is in 9 weeks, my daughters meat pen rabbits are coming from this litter.

Good luck with them! :clover: <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 16, 2015 12:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> You may want to pass a couple more on to the Thriantas, to keep more milk available to the others. If she's a really good milker, though, that's probably not necessary.

funnies50":va6ykggz said:
Hahahaha we like pictures here, yes ... or I do. Anyway, congrats on that 15-kit litter! You gonna name 'em?
Sure, they will be named; appetizer, lunch, noodles, pot pie, supper, barbie, Que, stew-y, sandwich, fajita, grilled, seared, marinara, saucy, and spicy.

Latest posts

Back