Big buck and small doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I got a new 10 month old buck recently and i‘m a little worried that he is too big for my does. My does are 2.2 kg (4.8 lbs) and the buck is 2.8 kg (6.1 lbs). Can he safely breed Them?

That's not much of a difference anyway, if the buck were 6kg I would wonder about that myself.

But I cannot remember to have ever heard of someone actually having problems due to size difference, but quite often that it did work just fine. It sounds like a plausible theory, but on the other hand kit sized is determined by what the doe can deliver nutrient wise.

Maybe someone can chime in who has anectodal evidence of this being an actual problem, but with the weight difference you posted, even if it gets somewhat more, I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
the buck (his name is Lori btw) is still growing but i think he’s only going to get to 3.5 kg by the very most. Probably only 3 kg. Thanks for the quick response.

generally no problems if within 3 lbs. A friend had a flemish breed a 5 lb doe (totally accidentally) and only two of eight kits were viable, the rest died to odd deformities caused (a vet said) by the size difference.

Latest posts

Back