BEW x New Zealand = Vienna marked black + white kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebunny

Reaction score
Okay,

So recently had my first litter they are almost a week now. Doe is a BEW the Buck New Zealand white. :p

Okay here we go! BEW is genetic white correct and the Buck a genetic black? Due to the black and white kits...

So the black means the buck has very pure lines correct? :mrgreen:

5 kits! 2 pure white 1 white with small black spot on eye 2 black with Vienna marks.

So I remember many people saying I would only get rew kits, that was not correct.

normal x bew = vm + vc correct?

the normal is buck as a black...

I think I got really lucky with buck being a black for bew breeding program (the goal meat quality rabbits that are bew or blue eyed blacks) If that is possible? since I could not find any like the american or Bavarian around here...

Let me know what you think and what you think! :)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 682
  • babies1.jpg
    babies1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 682
  • bun bun.jpg
    bun bun.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 682
  • 2013-09-04 16.29.50.jpg
    2013-09-04 16.29.50.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 682
Yeah, BEWto non BEW that does not carry BEW results in VC and VM.

Looks like you have at least one VM in there.

What's the purpose of blue eyes in meat rabbits, though? I don't understand that part really.

Your BEW doe can be any colour under her white coat and your REW buck can be any colour under his white coat.

Because you got 3 blacks, your doe and buck are probably blacks under their white fur or at least carry the black self gene.

Because you got 2 REW kits your BEW doe must carry the full colour and the REW gene on her C-locus.

REW Buck = Aa OR aa B_ cc D_ E_ VV

REW Doe = Aa OR aa B_ Cc D_ E_ vv

You are correct that all the kits will be Vienna carriers or Vienna marked, even the white ones.

Black kits = aa B_ Cc D_ E_ Vv

REW kits = aa B_ cc D_ E_ Vv

Thank you Dood!!!
For clearing up the bew coat genetics so she is genetically a different color nice to know!
More pics soon of each kit have to take the big one out so the others can catch up!

__________ Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:47 pm __________

***Update***

<3 How lucky I just got! <3 putting things together!

Blanc de Hotot Rabbit is what the doe is mixed with, breeding the White New Zealand buck just ended up being the right fit for her genetically! I had no idea what she was, just got lucky on this for the beginning of the small breeding operation.

"Because of the very small gene pool and a body type that greatly needed improvement, breeders began to cross Blanc de Hotots with Blue-Eyed White Beverens, White New Zealands, and White Satins. It was not until 2004 that additional Blanc de Hotots were imported into this country from Germany, Holland, and England."

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/blancdehotot.html

So today the kit are a week old! 1 black, 1 gray, 2 white, 1 white with black eye marks (blanc de hotot)
The gray one looks like it may turn all white

Attachments

• week1.JPG
    week1.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 631
I am looking to get blue eyes into my small white New Zealand herd. Same as IceBunny, folks are turned off by the pink eyes.
Anyone in the Midwest able to help me out?

Silver is usually a c locus gene like chinchilla or sable.

Blue eyed white is hard to get in the midwest. It's mostly in small breeds.

***Update***

So I sold the gray and black. The gray was the largest.

I have a male with mostly white and some black spots (beats out the females conformation)

2 females they are all white one has a blue eye and the other eye is brown with a sliver of blue. The second female is all white with a few stray hairs of black on the rump with part brown/blue eyes (keeping to breed since it has better conformation since I want a female)

They are already half the size of the doe at about 8 weeks the doe is 5 pounds.
The buck is now gained and filled out more as well he is now 12 pounds.

I will be getting another NZ buck to breed to the bew doe and have the half siblings cross then breed back to the bew doe.
This is quite an adventure I will be looking for a NZ buck with the best conformation that I can find I hope to maybe see a pedigree to see if color was present at one time to stay away from chestnut.

Would you keep the best male or female? Since the female is the second best in conformation... Maybe I will get a better female from the next litter? What do you think is the best choice?

Thanks all for feedback!

Attachments

• unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 564
  • unnamed (18).jpg
    unnamed (18).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 564
  • alice 1.jpg
    alice 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 564
  • alice.jpg