Best way to kill rats?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been seeing a lot of rats around our property recently. And I was wondering what the best way to get rid of them is? If you have something that’s worked for you, then by all means please share😃.

oh my rats... I struggled with rats for a long time. I cannot tell you how much I HATE rats. Dirty filthy spoilers of food and eater of baby rabbits and nibblers of feet. Just gah!!!

FINALLY got on top of them this past summer.

1. used poison when I had them running over my feet. I knew where they were, and dug up nests and disposed of bodies so I wouldn't threaten wildlife. I advised the neighbours of what I was doing. I tied the poison into a spot so they couldn't drag it off anywhere. I used the poison bait that are only available to farmers or rodent control people. This helped immensely but didn't stop the problem. Over time the population started to rebound so .....

2. snap traps of a variety of sorts work really well but need to be placed properly. AND need to be moved around. Nutella works 60% better than Peanut butter. The "rodent bait" is not any more effective than nutella or peanut butter.

3. bait and switch. Feed them yummy food at a given location. Then put yummy food in a multi-catch trap. THIS was the game changer for me. Caught seven or eight at a time a few times and drowned the lot of them. I also used live traps which caught one or two at a time, which helped. Pic is of live trap working successfully.

Attachments

• CT live trap (3).jpg
    CT live trap (3).jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi,
I’ve been seeing a lot of rats around our property recently. And I was wondering what the best way to get rid of them is? If you have something that’s worked for you, then by all means please share😃.

Have you seen the threads on here about mixing powdered/confectioner's sugar with plaster of Paris to kill rats? Never had to get rid of rats myself, though.

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/are-these-rat-droppings-please-advise-and-help.34448/post-335185
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/a-rat-foiling-idea-i-had-last-night.33866/#post-333202

oh my rats... I struggled with rats for a long time. I cannot tell you how much I HATE rats. Dirty filthy spoilers of food and eater of baby rabbits and nibblers of feet. Just gah!!!

1. used poison when I had them running over my feet. I knew where they were, and dug up nests and disposed of bodies so I wouldn't threaten wildlife. I advised the neighbours of what I was doing. I tied the poison into a spot so they couldn't drag it off anywhere. I used the poison bait that are only available to farmers or rodent control people. This helped immensely but didn't stop the problem. Over time the population started to rebound so .....

2. snap traps of a variety of sorts work really well but need to be placed properly. AND need to be moved around. Nutella works 60% better than Peanut butter. The "rodent bait" is not any more effective than nutella or peanut butter.

3. bait and switch. Feed them yummy food at a given location. Then put yummy food in a multi-catch trap. THIS was the game changer for me. Caught seven or eight at a time a few times and drowned the lot of them. I also used live traps which caught one or two at a time, which helped. Pic is of live trap working successfully.

I am so going to remember to use Nutella if I ever have a rat problem! Thanks for the tip. It really seems like they have to eat anything sweet. Awful critters, to be sure.

All these methods help somewhat, but you need several of them used in rotation. Rats, unlike mice, are intelligent and wary. You need to keep a step ahead of them.

Rat poisons should be used in a proper tamper-proof bait station to protect children and pets who might be in the area. A "one feeding" poison is most effective.

I've seen good results with the Plaster of Paris/confectioner's sugar mix. Plaster and cake mix is supposed to work well too. I believe there is less chance of secondary poisoning with this than with commercial rat poisons. I know one of our members, Truckinguy, cleared his rat problem within a week of using this mix.

The very best rodent control is a visiting weasel or mink. We've been saved two of three times by them. They do pose a minor threat to rabbits or chickens on their own, but they do a stellar job of exterminating rats.

If your rabbits are in cages, be aware that rats can get through the smallest of cracks or holes. Anything coarser than 1" x 1" wire is no deterrent. They can also get into cages if a door is loose or if a J-feeder has no lid.

There are many threads on RabbitTalk about dealing with rats. Use the search feature to find them.

~ Maggie

THANK YOU for sharing I will try that with Nutella!!!

All these methods help somewhat, but you need several of them used in rotation. Rats, unlike mice, are intelligent and wary. You need to keep a step ahead of them.

Rat poisons should be used in a proper tamper-proof bait station to protect children and pets who might be in the area. A "one feeding" poison is most effective.

I've seen good results with the Plaster of Paris/confectioner's sugar mix. Plaster and cake mix is supposed to work well too. I believe there is less chance of secondary poisoning with this than with commercial rat poisons. I know one of our members, Truckinguy, cleared his rat problem within a week of using this mix.

The very best rodent control is a visiting weasel or mink. We've been saved two of three times by them. They do pose a minor threat to rabbits or chickens on their own, but they do a stellar job of exterminating rats.

If your rabbits are in cages, be aware that rats can get through the smallest of cracks or holes. Anything coarser than 1" x 1" wire is no deterrent. They can also get into cages if a door is loose or if a J-feeder has no lid.

There are many threads on RabbitTalk about dealing with rats. Use the search feature to find them.

~ Maggie
THANK YOU!!!

Also we have start cats and OUR cats but they’re not interested in the rats😭😢
Rats can be too aggressive for some cats to handle. And the more rats there are around a place, the more vicious they get. Still, your cats may take out some of the young rats, which is a help if not a solution to the problem.

Here is a long reply with a lot of info. We have had major problems with various large rodent species at our home. Most of our problems involve packrats and some nonnative ground squirrels but I suspect our solution could be adapted to work with rats. We have been very successful in controlling populations.

We use mostly live traps and have found tomahawk brand work best among livetraps because they are not shiny (dull finish) and they rattle around less than have-a-hart traps. Tomahawks are used more by professionals. (I'm a wildlife biologist by training, so that is how I knew about this brand). We set 10 or so around our property. Two key things are (1) keep traps out 24-7-365. We bait them most of the time but the important thing is don't wait until you have a problem, out-of-control population. Keep traps out all the time. You can dispatch animals you capture with any preferred method (drowning, which we do in our pond, pellet gun, etc.). And (2) Find a location that works. Not all locations work. Keep moving the traps every 2-3 days until you find a location that catches your problem species, and then keep traps at these locations all the time. A lot of locations will not work and do not get discouraged. Keep moving traps until you find a good spot. For us, we find that areas under large rocks and boulders are best and we set the trap with the entrance facing a burrow under a rock, but not blocking the entrance. It took us a couple of weeks of trial-and-error to figure this out. We caught 0 squirrels/rats prior to figuring out these ideal locations, even though they were running around EVERYWHERE. Then scatter bait at the entrance and going into the trap (leave a trail of bait so they can nibble it as they walk in).

We have tried other traps. We had success with a squirrel-inator trap that we picked up on amazon, as well as a tube trap. I posted links below. Note that the tube trap works really well with our problem species, but it is lethal so we use it sparingly. With the live traps, if we catch a non-target animal, we can release it.

Tomahawk trap: https://www.livetrap.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=182
Squirrelinator trap: Rugged Ranch Squirrelinator Squirrel Trap

Tube body grip trap: https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=44491&itemnum=35803&redir=Y
If you have a small property and your neighbors have rats, you will have more problems. We have a couple of neighbors who let us set traps in key locations on their property and it helps stem-the-tide (so to speak) and prevent a lot of rats/squirrels from even making it to our property boundary.

The first year, we caught hundreds of squirrels. Now, we catch and kill less than 100 per year in a bad year, probably closer to 80 in most years.

When they are reproducing in spring and summer, we catch a lot more and check traps about every 1-3 days. During slow times of year (winter) we only check a couple times monthly.

Anti-coagulant rodenticide poisons will kill non-target species so we never use them. I lost a few barn cats and a dog at a previous property where the owners had used poison years prior, because rodents will cache the poison and future generations can then eat it. Predatory wildlife that eat a rodent that ate anti-coagulant rodenticides die a miserable death. But I do understand if you have a terrible rat problem, you may want to use poison. I would try our method first, if you can.

I realize you have different species that are causing the problem but like I said, I bet a similar approach could be adapted to rats but with using different bait.

It sounds awful, what you are going through. I hope this info helps. Best of luck!!

I had better luck with a live trap when it was covered. I leave one end closed, and cover the whole trap except the entrance with a blanket.

Squirrel trap story: my wife watched a squirrel go into the trap, before I started covering the traps and she could watch it work. The trap snapped shut, and the squirrel went crazy for a little while. Then it settled down and ate the bait (peanut butter). Soon three crows showed up and started to walk around the trap, around and around, and I swear they were taunting that squirrel.

Back