best meat rabbit breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a lot of people LOVE rex for meat rabbits.
But these same people will point out the flaws: often a slower growth rate, the need to keep them longer if growing them for their coats as well, as well as needing to take extra care to breed for well-furred feet.

Some people want a fast growing meat rabbit, and therefore will not choose rex as their meat rabbit of choice THOUGH I have heard from people who do get 5 lbs by 8-10 weeks, so they are out there!

But if you don't care how long it takes to get to 5 lbs, or aren't looking to harvest those wonderful pelts, rex make a good meat rabbit for sure.

Thank You! growth rate really isn't a concern atm as we don't really eat it, I have to look up some other recipes because the way I did it had a funny taste lol I would love to have a rex pelt one day but that's really not a concern either at least until I know how to properly do them <3
a lot of people LOVE rex for meat rabbits.
But these same people will point out the flaws: often a slower growth rate, the need to keep them longer if growing them for their coats as well, as well as needing to take extra care to breed for well-furred feet.

Some people want a fast growing meat rabbit, and therefore will not choose rex as their meat rabbit of choice THOUGH I have heard from people who do get 5 lbs by 8-10 weeks, so they are out there!

But if you don't care how long it takes to get to 5 lbs, or aren't looking to harvest those wonderful pelts, rex make a good meat rabbit for sure.

I have one pair of Rex along with my Tamuk. I do have to help them a little more during the really hot days. And yes, they need those mats to help their feet. But my Rex doe pops 9-10 kits each litter and feeds them very well. We are about to process our first batch but I see not issue with the growout rate, maybe a little slower but not by much.

I raise Rex and they do grow a little slower than say, New Zealands, but I love their calm dispositions. Mine have always handled the heat as well as the next rabbit and for the most part I have only seen sore hocks in a few rabbits.

Latest posts

Back