Best gauge wire to build cages with

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy Lane

Reaction score
I am a totally newbie when it comes to building cages, I always bought used, but I can't find any so I am looking at building.. Is 14 gauge wire strong enough?
Also I am thinking about making a cage with a bottom made out of regular field fencing to use as a tractor during the warm months for my buck. The larger holes would allow for good grazing, I know it wouldn't be strong enough to hang/stack ect, but that's not what I want it for so do you think it would work ?

Any advise I would love, thanks :)!

Here's a site you need to add to your favorites. LOL.

www.klubertanz.com.

They'll have anything you could possibly imagine for rabbits.

YES!!! 14 gauge wire is excellent.........but very expensive.
For bottoms of the cages, if you can afford it, go with 14 Gauge
Galvanized AFTER Welding. That's some tough stuff and will last
for years.

I believe most of the side and top wire is 14 gauge as well.
But you could probably "sneak" by with GBW. Baby-Saver wire
costs only a few dollars more than standard 1X2 but will pay
for itself in saved youngsters. I'd definitely go with that.

Buy a good pair of J-clip pliers. Not the heapy-cheapy kind.
Get the heavier J-clips as well. A top-of-the-line pair of wire
cutters is a must. PLAN on your hands feeling like they've been'
beat with a ball-bat!!

Good luck, be patient, measure TWICE.....cut once.

grumpy.

:yeahthat:

14 gauge is awesome, and Klubertanz GAW floor wire is a dream, it's so heavy and stiff! I'm about to order wire from them myself. :)

He's not kidding about the pliers, cutters, and clips. Get only the good stuff.

Excellent tools are an investment in the health of your hands, the time you won't spend fighting with cheap tools, and your ability to do the job at all. With cheap wire cutters, I was able to make five cuts in 14-gauge wire. FIVE! I couldn't cut any more.

Thanks for the link I finally got it to load.... I am using wire for the sides and top from tractor supply 14g, its about .50 a foot... I won't be having any kits born in these cages, just my buck cages, and possibly grow out cages. So I went with a wire with slightly larger holes. Every one else (jr. does, and does- live in colonies). I will probably have two small grow out colony's too..... I have them in a colony now and love love love it!

My problem is currently what size wire for the floor (hole size not gauge) I thought I could use hardware cloth but the only gauge I can find is 19 or 23 so that probably won't work. So what size do you use? 1/2x1/2 1/4x1/4?

We already have wire cutters so that won't be a problem, do you buy the other things from that site too?

Once again thanks for the help :)

1/2" X 1" wire is for the flooring. Make sure you put the "Smooth-side" up.

the 1/2" spacing's go on top where the rabbit's feet rest.
the 1" spacing is on the bottom nearest the poop.

grumpy

Back