Best breeding practices

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
So I have 2 does and 1 buck. The first time I bred them I put Licorice in Mr. Salty's cage and then immediately put Ginger in after. Then I rebred them 8 hours later. Ginger didn't get pregnant. Licorice did. This most recent time I tried the same thing.

I'm thinking now that maybe I should wait a day between breeding each doe. Though I read that breeding your does on the same day can be beneficial if one doe can't handle her babes.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

I think I will try breeding Ginger again on day 14 because I suspect she didn't take.

I don't have very much experience, but I'm sure someone else can answer that for you.
Recently, I bred my 2 does and then a few days later did a test breed and both does lifted, which means neither of them took. I'm glad I did that otherwise I would've waited 31+ days with no kits and then rebred.

Did you breed them both to the same buck on the same day? I am concerned that the buck wouldn't be potent enough to impregnate both does.

Rabbit sperm is not as hardy in the cold of the winter (or heat of the summer) and your male may need some time to rally the troops so to speak. I would switch up who gets bred first and do a morning and evening breeding

If the kits are a day or two apart you can still foster them to other mothers and someone was forced to put a newborn with 8 day old litter and that little guy is still managed to fight for his share of milk, but it is not something I would recommend doing.

Yup, that's what I do. I breed two does to one buck on the same day. Doe 1 gets him first in the morning and Doe 2 gets him first in the evening. Then I let him rest for at least two days before breeding any other does. I make sure he covers the first doe twice and the second doe three or more times.

Thank you guys!

So do you think I should try it again on day 14? I think I read somewhere that the does would refuse if they were pregnant.

They won't necessarily refuse if pregnant and could be come pregnant in the other uterine horn which is very not good.

I would palpate on day 12, 13 and 14 to see if you feel anything. If she's open, then rebreed

ollitos":hzgxqf4o said:
They won't necessarily refuse if pregnant and could be come pregnant in the other uterine horn which is very not good.

I would palpate on day 12, 13 and 14 to see if you feel anything. If she's open, then rebreed

Palpating is the best way to determine if a doe is pregnant.

Multiparous animals (those which give birth to multiple young at a time) such as dogs, cats, and rabbits, all carry fetuses in both horns when pregnant. Rabbits release eggs from both ovaries when bred. If one ovary is disabled, the other ovary will compensate and release more eggs. The eggs float freely in the uterus and horns until implantation which occurs 9 days (I think) later.

I am highly skeptical of the idea that "dual pregnancies" with different gestation are possible at all. The hormonal conditions have to be just right for implantation to occur, which is why women who are surrogates for others have to undergo daily injections until those conditions are met.

Thanks you for the education!

I'm not sure I can tell by palpitating. I tried last time when I bred them. Ginger I think was too fat. So she has since been put on a diet. I never could tell Licorice was pregnant she definitely looked rounder towards the end.

Maxine":1wuno3sa said:
Thanks you for the education!

I'm not sure I can tell by palpitating. I tried last time when I bred them. Ginger I think was too fat. So she has since been put on a diet. I never could tell Licorice was pregnant she definitely looked rounder towards the end.

Once a doe becomes overweight...it's extremely difficult to bring them back into breeding weight. Internal fat deposits are the last to be lost.

Palpating does takes time and experience. Once you get the "hang" of it, it's not all that difficult. Usually the best time is 12 days into the cycle. Carefully done, the young will feel like small grapes between your fingers. DON'T squeeze too hard...you'll injure the fetus'

grumpy.

I have had the worst time palpating. Then one day, it just clicked! So keep trying, no matter how frustrating it gets or if you think you'll never get the hang of it.

Back