Best age to butcher Rex for meat/fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any info on when is the best age to butcher Rex for meat and/or fur?

I believe that 6 mos is "prime" for fur. We plan on growing ours out to 4.5 or 5mos and see how that is....the meat will be tougher, but nothing a crock pot cannot handle!

The best age for meat is not the best age for fur. Rabbits around 4 months old are preferred for meat while pelts aren't at their best until the rabbits get mature and the hide thickens. You have to prioritize one and make up for the other by things like only using slow cooking methods on older rabbits.

In France there is a dual purpose rabbit called Rex du Poitou. It is raised for meat (for gourmet restaurants) and designer furs. They butcher at about 18-20 weeks. The rabbits are raised mainly on alfalfa and grain. The google translation is horrible, but here's the link anyway.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... 26hs%3DbUg

I am not eating the meat, the dogs are, so it doesn't matter if it's tough, but I would like the bun to be as large as possible before I take the hide.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm __________<br /><br />I checked the link. Those would be nice, now how would I get them in Ohio?

Cost effectively beyond about 4months it generally takes more to feed a rabbit than to get anything out of it. However they will continue to gain size beyond 6months. A full adult pelt in size, hide thickness, and fur density or quality could take a year. What I get off my 2 year old or more breeders I cull is still better quality than what I get off the 8month olds that cull because they fail to breed well.

MaggieJ":30swbbin said:
In France there is a dual purpose rabbit called Rex du Poitou. It is raised for meat (for gourmet restaurants) and designer furs. They butcher at about 18-20 weeks. The rabbits are raised mainly on alfalfa and grain. The google translation is horrible, but here's the link anyway.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... 26hs%3DbUg

Yes, I remember reading this and that is why I chose the age I did to try when we butcher our first Rex. Thanks again for posting that, Maggie!

akane":14orts0m said:
Cost effectively beyond about 4months it generally takes more to feed a rabbit than to get anything out of it. However they will continue to gain size beyond 6months. A full adult pelt in size, hide thickness, and fur density or quality could take a year. What I get off my 2 year old or more breeders I cull is still better quality than what I get off the 8month olds that cull because they fail to breed well.

So anyone I don't plan to breed/ show cull at 4 mos?

Back