Begginer's luck has run out... lost a whole litter :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes things are just not on your side... We have been having one of the mildest winters in history up here in interior Alaska. On a normal year we would be seeing temperatures around -20 to -30 right now and very rarely coming above 0. I would normally not even think about breeding a rabbit to have babies during the winter up here and a lot of them won't breed anyway because of the short days we have during the cold months (currently at about 4 hrs daylight although my buns get artificial light for about 15 hrs a day). THIS year we have only seen one day reach -20 and that was Thanksgiving day. Every other day has seen temps mostly above zero and we even had 28 degrees this Tuesday.
I had a doe have a litter 5wks ago now and they are normal and healthy. I decided to go ahead and breed my other doe (who SHOULD have kindled along with the other one 5 wks ago but turned up not preggers). How was I to know that Tuesday it would be 28 degrees and then yesterday (her day 31/due date) it would not get above 5 and then drop to -12 during the night :shock: Murphey's Law I suppose :evil: Well, as my subject says I lost all 8 from that litter :cry: It's my first BIG loss :( I checked on her when I got home from work and she was busy pulling fur. When I went out again to put the light out for the night and water, about 4 hrs later, they were cold. I grabbed the nest box and went to the house. Sorted through what was in there and began to warm them up. One was already half eaten and one was obviously stepped on and pretty flat :cry: the rest I set on a heating pack and put a warm towel over them directly in front of our wood stove. After they began to warm I was able to bring one back. Sadly it is not possible for one to survive in the nest alone and bringing the nest in when not feeding is not an option in my situation. I had my hubby quietly dispatch the one live one and dispose of all of them :cry: :cry: :cry:

I tell you what, I can dispatch a jr/grow out or an adult rabbit with no problems but babies are TOTALLY different :( I tried not to think about it too much the rest of the night but it is still sad. It was a learning experience as I hadn't had to warm "dead" babies before to bring them back and I wish more would have come back but at least the one did so I know it works. I will not be rebreeding this doe right away (won't risk the cold again) and I may even dispatch her before the winter is over as she lost two from her last litter (one at 3wks and one at 8wks for unknown reasons). Some may think it's harsh and I will admit the fate of this litter probably was my fault, but I want the survival rate of my litters as close to 100% as I can get so she isn't proving to be an asset in my rabbitry. Also this doe has taken two breedings each time to get her pregnant which then throws her off the cycle with my other doe so I don't have the option to foster which could have saved the lone survivor's life.

Sorry to hear of your losing a litter--that must be tough especially when you thought you might be able to save the 6. But for what another beginner's opinion is worth, your thinking about this doe seems sound to me. Hope you can enjoy the healthy 5 week old litter--from when they come out of the nest box to 5 or 6 weeks is my favorite age for the buns. And maybe give yourself a little time to adjust to the loss before you make a final decision about the doe.

It's always hard losing kits - and even harder if you have to dispatch them. (((HUGS))) Still, there are going to be times when a rabbit breeder has to cope with a situation like that. Thank goodness it doesn't happen too often.

I'm sorry for your loss! We would be devastated if we lost a litter - DH gets upset each time we lose one, so I can't even imagine.

It sounds to me like your strategy for your herd is a sound one, especially living where you do. We are looking at the same thing, wanting only to keep does who get very close to 100% survival rates. We have one doe in particular, Velma, who seems to have a higher rate of babies who die from injury around 2-3 weeks old. Sometimes they are the biggest kits! I think that she's just not careful when she gets in the nest box to nurse.

Thank you all! I appreciate the sympathies & support ( I LOVE RABBITTALK!!! :in_love: )

I do think it will be easier to replace the doe then to have to deal with more possible lost litters/kits. Again I'm not placing all of the blame on this doe, but we have talked about replacing her for a while now and I think this just kinda sealed the deal.

Also, thankfully the litter was mostly blue (6 out of the 8 ) and my husband and I are wanting to stick with the black Silver Foxes so it wasn't as big of a loss. The 5 wk old litter is 6 black and only 1 blue so I will hopefully have a nice black doe to replace this one with. I made sure to snuggle with a few of them last night to help me feel better :)

I am so sorry about the litter! With not being able to keep a singleton inside, you did the right thing rather than let him suffer.

I agree, it sounds like your thinking on the doe is solid. :)

We lost all but one of a litter once, and it was just so heartbreaking. :grouphug:

Back