Bee balm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garden lady

Reaction score
I have a lot of bee balm. I read that bee balm is safe. Would that be the leaves and flowers both? What about marigolds, leaves and flowers safe to eat?

Bee balm (Monarda spp.) is safe for rabbits. I feed it in moderate amounts, mixed with other greens. The leaves and flowers would both be safe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarda

I've seen marigolds on toxic lists... but not sure how toxic they may be. Try googling things like marigolds edible for rabbits or marigolds toxicity.

MaggieJ":2dxofofz said:
Bee balm (Monarda spp.) is safe for rabbits. I feed it in moderate amounts, mixed with other greens. The leaves and flowers would both be safe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarda

I've seen marigolds on toxic lists... but not sure how toxic they may be. Try googling things like marigolds edible for rabbits or marigolds toxicity.

I have tons of bee balm and love the smell, but hesitated about giving to the rabbits. The marigolds I have never seen on a toxic list. I just googled marigolds edible for rabbits and found this -
Marigolds
Some people believe marigolds repel rabbits, but Iowa State University notes rabbits are drawn to marigold flowers. Rabbits enjoy them thanks to their woody stems as well as their blossoms. You can grow marigolds in your outdoor flower garden during late summer and fall or indoors all year round.

I googled marigold toxicity and found this - Gardeners need to avoid Nasturtiums and Marigolds if rabbits are in the area, they count those as treats!

I gave mine a marigold flower this summer, pieces of it because I heard they liked them, but they were not that crazy over it, but I did not try leaves. I will keep looking, but probably would not feed it to them anyway.

You have to realize "common" names often refer to several plants not related. The "Pot Marigold" is a calendula, and was used as a dye, food, and is probably safe for rabbits, as it's related to daisies. The French (or dwarf) marigolds are the ones planted for nematode and insect pest control, which may also be slightly toxic to bunnies.

We used to feed marigold to the guinea pigs all the time. They loved them. Definitely not toxic. Nasturtiums are also a great food. Both real easy to grow. One year we used this old burnt down tree stump to plant in and had marigolds over our heads that we were cutting down for the pigs and won the flower show at the fair.

dragonladyleanne":1sjaalpq said:
You have to realize "common" names often refer to several plants not related. The "Pot Marigold" is a calendula, and was used as a dye, food, and is probably safe for rabbits, as it's related to daisies. The French (or dwarf) marigolds are the ones planted for nematode and insect pest control, which may also be slightly toxic to bunnies.

Good thing to know. I will look into it. I am not sure what kind I have, but will check.

dragonladyleanne":14ys8etx said:
You have to realize "common" names often refer to several plants not related.

Very good point, Leanne! Thanks for catching that. :)

I have fed bee balm in small quantities to the rabbits with no ill effects, but I am wondering in retrospect if it perhaps a bad idea, particularly for pregnant or nursing does. It seems to have some very powerful medicinal properties. I recommend you hold off on it pending further research, Garden Lady. I'll try to get to that soon.<br /><br />__________ Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am __________<br /><br />I did a bit of research and could find no reports of Monarda being toxic. It is considered a safe plant for gardens where dogs and cats may have access. Rabbits may turn up their noses at it though... It is often planted as an ornamental that is repellent to deer and rabbits. I only have one Monarda plant left, so have not fed it in any quantity. I cut a few sprigs every so often to add interest to the weed mix.

MaggieJ":1nppf6j5 said:
dragonladyleanne":1nppf6j5 said:
You have to realize "common" names often refer to several plants not related.

Very good point, Leanne! Thanks for catching that. :)

I have fed bee balm in small quantities to the rabbits with no ill effects, but I am wondering in retrospect if it perhaps a bad idea, particularly for pregnant or nursing does. It seems to have some very powerful medicinal properties. I recommend you hold off on it pending further research, Garden Lady. I'll try to get to that soon.

__________ Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am __________

I did a bit of research and could find no reports of Monarda being toxic. It is considered a safe plant for gardens where dogs and cats may have access. Rabbits may turn up their noses at it though... It is often planted as an ornamental that is repellent to deer and rabbits. I only have one Monarda plant left, so have not fed it in any quantity. I cut a few sprigs every so often to add interest to the weed mix.

Thank you! I just read this. It does not seem like a plant they would like.

Latest posts

Back