BEATING HEART

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had a few whose muscles were twitching a lot long after butchering! No beating hearts yet, glad to see a video of one in action!

It's still alive!!! How could you do that?! It's sooooo cruel!!!!!

Anyway, I've had one do that to. My 6 year old was out there with me when he asked why that was still moving. I looked down and had to stare at it a minute to see if I was seeing it correctly. It's pretty cool.

Probably 8 or 9 years ago, there was this lizard that accidentally got killed (small kids, playing with a small lizard... ). Well, since it was dead, my daughter thought why not dissect it? Her little brother thought that was a great idea, so I got out the dissection kit I had acquired in a box of science supplies.

(Tangent: young chameleon skin looks very thin and delicate, like tissue paper. Well, it's thin, but there's nothing delicate about it!)

There we were, with a low-quality but passable computer-linked microscope, identifying all the organs inside the lizard, when I suddenly realized the heart had begun beating again. :eek: By this time, it had been at least 30 minutes since the poor thing had died. We put a cotton ball of some sort of ether or something in front of its nose, just to make sure. It never started breathing or anything, thank goodness... but my moving the heart around to improve visibility of other organs was enough of a massage to get it going again for a little bit. I did have a mini-freakout for a moment, until I realized that no, I had not cut open a live lizard. It was dead... just nobody told the heart about it.

We had a couple out of our last batch do that too. I cleaned a fish once and kept the heart beating for nearly an hour! It would sometimes stop and I'd "massage" it, and it'd start up again. Amazing what drive nature has!

Mickey328":34sa519x said:
We had a couple out of our last batch do that too. I cleaned a fish once and kept the heart beating for nearly an hour! It would sometimes stop and I'd "massage" it, and it'd start up again. Amazing what drive nature has!
Wow! That is pretty amazing!

Mickey328":3caeuvk2 said:
Yep.. Whenever we go fishing in Chitna the fish hearts are always beating long after being taken out.. Pretty cool. Havent seen it in a rabbit though. Or any chickens.

When I was butchering --I noticed,-- most, if not all of the hearts were still beating when I got to that part, I think it is a matter of how much time elapses, between cervical dislocation, bleeding, skinning, gutting, and then removing the lungs and heart, -- for some of us, it is about 60 seconds or so---

I have seen that quite a few times myself. The most memorable occasion being when one of my puppy buyers had returned to get another pup for his fiance, and wanted to buy rabbit meat from me and learn how to butcher a rabbit at the same time.

His fiance being a bit squeamish, she and my husband were having a conversation some way off. When I opened the rabbit, its heart was still beating, which caused him great excitement. :lol: He eagerly asked "Can I take that?" and when I said of course he could, he quickly grabbed it and ran out to show her. She was not amused, lol. :roll:

a7736100":2nbiioom said:
Make one wonder if the brain is still thinking.

Supposedly brain function continues for eight seconds after beheading of a conscious being. This excerpt applies to beheading of humans in medieval Europe:

A Death by Beheading!
On the gruesome subject of beheading it was the custom that following execution the severed head was held up by the hair by the executioner. This was not, as many people think, to show the crowd the head but in fact to show the head the crowd and it's own body! Consciousness remains for at least eight seconds after beheading until lack of oxygen causes unconsciousness and eventually death. The guillotine is associated with the French but the English were the first to use this device as described in our section containing Mary Mary Quite Contrary Rhyme.

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/jack_and_jill.htm

Latest posts

Back