Bartow, FL show Sept 8th

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnelsonfla

Reaction score
I don't believe there are many people from the forum who attend the shows, but if you read this please check me out if you attend. It should be good turn out, first sweepstakes show of the year. We normally get 75-100 exhibitors and over 300 rabbits. This will be the first show with the Blue & Black Jr doe's that I picked up in Charleston. I will post pics of the the rabbits I am taking (5 this time) and report back on how it went. :loveamerica:

Good luck! I know the Mini Rex is well represented every show with over 30 in the open every show. I paid for Havana sanction this time so I am hoping my fellow Havana breeders show up like they said they would. :bow: :dogkiss:

We've been to Bartow a few times mainly to pick up rabbits. We often combine a trip there with a long weekend just to get away. We had thought about showing this weekend but it didn't work out. It's 5 hours for us one way so it's a bit far for a one day trip. Good luck at the show!

Bill

Yes, Mini Rex are tough but we have a Best of Breed and Best Opposite along with a few BOV's. My name is Lisa, I will try to watch your Havana's go. We have a few kids in our 4 H club that show them too!

Bill":27qx887h said:
It's 5 hours for us one way so it's a bit far for a one day trip. Good luck at the show!

Bill

There are some triple shows coming up October and November. At least we won't be in the upper 80's then.

I saw that, but October 13 we'll be at the Georgia National Fair with pigs and on Nov 17 we'll probably be at the Decatur Rabbit Breeders assoc show in Conyers. We may try and make the Dec 5th show if there is nothing closer, although we're hearing they are trying to get a GA 4-H and FFA show put together for Dec.

tnelsonfla":wkuyacf5 said:
Bill":wkuyacf5 said:
It's 5 hours for us one way so it's a bit far for a one day trip. Good luck at the show!

Bill

There are some triple shows coming up October and November. At least we won't be in the upper 80's then.

Or at least you can only hope not. We had a spell of 100's this past week. It's September, for crying out loud.

But do tell, folks. How did the show go over yesterday?

The show was a huge success and had 534 rabbits there, with 56 English Lops, 82 Mini Rex, 89 Holland Lop and 104 Netherland Dwarfs. Not to mention the 62 cavies. Had a decent turn out for the Havana's with 14 by 3 breeders. I got both BOB & BOS in the A & B shows. The "normal" or regular Havana breeders where not there, so I think that will be good for the future as those two ladies bring 10-15 to each show, so the next few shows will be interesting. Got to meet Rexibest aka:Lisa and her daughter, they had stiff competition but did well and even bought some new buns. I won BOV with the Chocolate, Broken,Blues and Black also. The Black Jr doe in the "B" show, the judge didn't like my tattoo so he said he'd should DQ her, but instead he gave her second, even thou the "A" judge had no issue with the tattoo and read it right the first look, and she got 1st and BOV. My Blues traded BOV & BOSV in the A & B shows. The Chocolate Sr doe and the Broken Sr Buck won their variety in both the A & B shows, also where the BOB and BOS.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

tnelsonfla":1lstmpqs said:
The show was a huge success and had 534 rabbits there, with 56 English Lops, 82 Mini Rex, 89 Holland Lop and 104 Netherland Dwarfs. Not to mention the 62 cavies. Had a decent turn out for the Havana's with 14 by 3 breeders. I got both BOB & BOS in the A & B shows. The "normal" or regular Havana breeders where not there, so I think that will be good for the future as those two ladies bring 10-15 to each show, so the next few shows will be interesting. Got to meet Rexibest aka:Lisa and her daughter, they had stiff competition but did well and even bought some new buns. I won BOV with the Chocolate, Broken,Blues and Black also. The Black Jr doe in the "B" show, the judge didn't like my tattoo so he said he'd should DQ her, but instead he gave her second, even thou the "A" judge had no issue with the tattoo and read it right the first look, and she got 1st and BOV. My Blues traded BOV & BOSV in the A & B shows. The Chocolate Sr doe and the Broken Sr Buck won their variety in both the A & B shows, also where the BOB and BOS.

Nice job.

Sounds like the judge in show B was trying to find a reason to throw the rabbit off the table to keep from having to make a "real" call, or had some kind of hidden agenda and picked what he knew was the better rabbit as his second place animal. Some of the best known judges will do that crap. Either way, seems to have been a pretty good day for you.

And with 534 entries, that is a pretty nice turnout.

We got 2nd 's in show A out of 13 rabbits, total of 54 mini Rex in youth.....we were thrilled! Show B our jr buck took black BOV and got his first leg with incredibly encouraging comments for our future herd buck! Yes, we even added a jr broken black doe from a great rabbitry in Georgia. So glad that her breeder was willing to part with her, I will find a way to do something nice in return for them one day!

I don't think the judge had any agenda with the ear tattoo, several seem to have zero tolerance for legible tattoos am willing to guess you were under Jeff for that one as I wrote for him in show A and he DQ'd quite a few for that especially after all the mixups with ND. Actually had two sr bucks that were the same color and had the same tattoo!! Luckily the two kids could identify their rabbits.

Rexisbest":1ov40921 said:
We got 2nd 's in show A out of 13 rabbits, total of 54 mini Rex in youth.....we were thrilled! Show B our jr buck took black BOV and got his first leg with incredibly encouraging comments for our future herd buck!
Yes you guys did good, the Mini Rex group seems to be very competitive, both in youth and open. They should have a good turn out the next few shows, I think they are all triple's thou and will make for LONG days.

Congratulations on the win! I had the same thing happen with judges and tattoos. Even so far as the same judge on different day/shows having no issue one time or in this case several times but not being able to read the tattoo the next time and making all kinds of what I felt were uneccessary comments. If the tat is bad or you think it's bad, okay, say so, but move on. No reason to keep harping on it. Heck, the writer looked at it and even told what it was, but that wasn't enough to shut them up. Okay, I'm better now. Ha. Didn't mean to vent on your post. Again, congratulations, you appear to have had an awesome show, with some awesome rabbits.

No problem on the venting. Yeah the tattoo in question is the same one I posted in the other thread. But Marvin is very old school and seem to be training two separate writers and had a youth judge helping him and practicing for the National, plus as if that wasn't enough he was getting over a cold. After he ask who's rabbit it was and after he said he should DQ the rabbit. He then went about explaining to everyone how to do a "proper tattoo" using the clamp method and she obviously had a "pen" tattoo. Either way I am happy with the results and now instead of breeding her today I am going to hold of and see if she can get her final leg next month for her Grand Champion. I think I ended up with almost 175 sweepstakes points.

Back