Barn roof repair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay....But here's the pic's of the roof repair I made on the barn.

Nearing the end of the roof replacement....four sheets left to be removed.
BarnRoofRepair2012-4.jpg

The nailers exposed....Need to replace broken nailers and add additional nailers to stablize the metal.
BarnRoofRepair2012-5.jpg

The broken nailers replaced...with the additional nailers installed.
BarnRoofRepair2012-6.jpg

All new metal on roof w/flashing re-installed. Caulking above and below both roof angles. All of the old nail-holes have been caulked.
BarnRoofRepair2012-2.jpg

Project completed.!!
BarnRoofRepair2012-7.jpg

Shot from the North end to the South. 12' X 66'. You can see the edge of my greenhouse I have attached to the barn. It's about 8'6" by 12'. I start several thousand tomato and pepper plants in it for resale every year.
BarnRoofRepair2012-8.jpg

skysthelimit":2ag67i0z said:
so there is caulk between each panel?

No...Only on the flashing between the two roof angles. There's a 2 1/4" overlap on each sheet of roofing to eliminate water intrusion. Each sheet of corrugated roofing is 26 1/4" wide. With the overlap, you cover a width of 24" of surface.

Grumpy.

Very nicely done!

What a beautiful spot you have found to call home! I am jealous of your pond. Is it stocked with any fish?

MamaSheepdog":27mer0dt said:
Very nicely done!

What a beautiful spot you have found to call home! I am jealous of your pond. Is it stocked with any fish?

Yes...it is. I've got two ponds actually. That is the lower one. It's got channel cat...bass...blue gill and crappie. The upper pond's got only bass and blue gill in.

About 8 years ago, I put a 35 pound flat-head in the lower pond. He should be well over 65-70 pounds by now. That pond hasn't been fished hardly at all in the last 5 or 6 years. I hardly ever have time to do so.

Grumpy.

grumpy":3n9p2aph said:
That pond hasn't been fished hardly at all in the last 5 or 6 years. I hardly ever have time to do so.

Well, the fish are there if you need them. Great emergency food storage! :lol:

Sorry for the delay....But here's the pic's of the roof repair I made on the barn.

Nearing the end of the roof replacement....four sheets left to be removed.
BarnRoofRepair2012-4.jpg

The nailers exposed....Need to replace broken nailers and add additional nailers to stablize the metal.
BarnRoofRepair2012-5.jpg

The broken nailers replaced...with the additional nailers installed.
BarnRoofRepair2012-6.jpg

All new metal on roof w/flashing re-installed residential roofing bloomington. Caulking above and below both roof angles. All of the old nail-holes have been caulked.
BarnRoofRepair2012-2.jpg

Project completed.!!
BarnRoofRepair2012-7.jpg

Shot from the North end to the South. 12' X 66'. You can see the edge of my greenhouse I have attached to the barn. It's about 8'6" by 12'. I start several thousand tomato and pepper plants in it for resale every year.
BarnRoofRepair2012-8.jpg
I'm going to be replacing a large section of tin roof on my barn that has been missing for who knows how long (not my neglect, it was the previous owners) and most of the wood slats have seen enough weather to rot them. Is there a good reason why I shouldn't replace the wood slats with sheets of plywood instead?

By wood slats I am guessing you mean purlins. Other than cost there is only one reason you could/should not use plywood. It is a tiny one, condensation. But so long and the space between corrugated roofing and plywood can ventilate that should be just that, a tiny issue. Purlins (or plywood) allow for fastener frequency greater than the number of rafters. Purlins can be whatever wood is cheap. It should be free of checks, splits and large knots but it need not be clear. Plywood on the other hand need only be entire.

When building "stuff" I usually paint / stain lumber prior to installing it. Not only does it make it MUCH easier, all sides are treated so even the mating surfaces are protected.
I learned this next part by accident. About two years ago I built a "carport" kinda thing for our mustang stallion.
He likes to stand guard at the top of the hill where he can see for miles. But... he does it in all sorts of weather!
Rather than bake in the desert sun or get covered in snow, I figured he at least needed a roof. The other horses are smart enough to go in the barn.
I put up 4 posts, two headers w/ 2x6 rafters. Then sheeted the rafters with 4' X 8' OSB sheets.
The intent was to permanently cover the plywood with metal roofing.
I found a "roof coating" at Lowes that I used to paint the OSB as the slightest moisture destroys it. (It's white in color, I don't remember the name of it)
Then, for whatever reason, I didn't get around to installing the metal roofing panels before the rain & snow hit.
Assuming I'd have to replace the OSB because of my delay, I didn't bother with the metal roof.
Here's the amazing part... a couple weeks ago I noticed that from the bottom (inside) there was no sign of damage.
I asked my son to go on top to see how bad it was... after over two years.
He said it looked exactly the same as the day we put it up!
This is full exposure 24/7 for over 2 years, on cheap OSB that can't get wet!
I'll get the metal up before next winter.
Properly covered / protected, it should last almost forever!
Again, I don't recall the name but it comes in a 5 gallon bucket for around $75. It's white & brushes or rolls on like thick paint. Fantastic product!
I really didn't need the plywood or OSB, I just didn't want the horses bothered by the noise of rain / hail on a bare metal roof. As for painting it, I only did that to help protect it somewhat because I was being cheap not using exterior grade plywood. Plus I wanted a more finished look from inside. I have very spoiled horses.
I'm too old & too lazy to be rebuilding stuff every few years. So... for an extra $75 bucks (which I really only used $20 worth... it was very inexpensive insurance!

Latest posts

Back