Ballista Captive Bolt. Any experience?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks katiebear. I also prefer German steel in my knives, both sets of my personal knife sets are German. Would the bolt be used on the moth area or back of the head? I can't tell from One Acre farms' s pictures.

The bolt gun is placed on the forehead, if you draw an imaginary X from the right ear to the left eye, then the left ear to the right eye,you place the device on the intersection of the two lines. They have a video on the web site..I don't think the death throws are as bad as they look on tape. :x .and you can always hold the bun down to help.I do that anyway because I use a work bench to dispatch on. :)
oh, the web site is bunny rancher .com..oops <br /><br /> __________ Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:07 am __________ <br /><br /> I don't know if you have read my posts but..I have really been struggling with the different methods of dispatch..There are several and I suggest that everyone who is doing meat rabbits, read all the discussions on dispatching in the meat rabbit section. I know for myself and others that dispatch is the most emotionally difficult part of raising our own meat. The quickest and less traumatic the dispatch, the better for both the rabbit and the human. With this method , the rabbit is calm and being petted,then it is lights out...I am sure it will still be hard on me, but I like to play with my food.. :lol:
Anyone who raises rabbits for any purpose should get it into their mind that at some point you may have to dispatch a rabbit. Even pet rabbits get sick or injured in a terminal manner
Everyone needs to be able to do it efficiently.. The bop method was working quite well for me, but I am not as strong physically as I once was so it was not as precise as I would have liked. I got a lot of bruising with cervical dislocation.and rather than buying a new dislocater ( I would have bought it from a member here Triumph triple, cause I think his are nice) I opted for the Ballista. We shall see....

I just ordered my Ballista and a pair of the Cinchers (gambrels) today, the least expensive shipping I've ever seen from the US. I've wanted a captive bolt gun since I first saw the Rabbit Wringer site but the price just wasn't justifiable for the amount I process so it remained on the wishlist. Now the physically hardest part of processing is going to be getting the hides off older bucks :grit:

Hey everyone,

Glad to hear you've been enjoying the Ballista. It's what we use personally as well. We've tried a lot of different methods but ultimately we are most satisfied with the captive bolt gun. Fast, easy, portable.

Previous shipments had gone so fast, that they sold out before they even arrived but we're starting to get the supply smoothed out and we just received a shipment of a bunch of them today. Figured I'd check in on here since I hadn't logged on in a bit.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the device. We uploaded several new photos yesterday of the device, including photos of it broken down for cleaning.

Wildeden, I processed 5 today..I really like the ballista..but I got some screaming...very unnerving.. a couple seemed to be breathing..even after checking the eye. They are approximately five pound meat mutts. Do you think they are to big? Or do I just need more practice?
One acrefarm got instant death...that is what I want too. I have the rabbits head down and am pressing firmly..It could be me, maybe I just need more practice....I don't know ..any suggestions?

katiebear":17doeocj said:
Wildeden, I processed 5 today..I really like the ballista..but I got some screaming...very unnerving.. a couple seemed to be breathing..even after checking the eye. They are approximately five pound meat mutts. Do you think they are to big? Or do I just need more practice?
One acrefarm got instant death...that is what I want too. I have the rabbits head down and am pressing firmly..It could be me, maybe I just need more practice....I don't know ..any suggestions?

Hi there! If the head is firmly supported and you are giving gentle but firm downward pressure when pulling the trigger, then it is likely a placement issue. You may have it set too forward on the head. As with any dispatch method, there is a small learning curve but if your placement is off that is a very easy thing to correct. The rabbit is definitely not too large for the device but the larger the rabbit, the more important placement becomes. We've heard from people using them successfully on 11lb rabbits without issue.

wildeden":2nvq2ga5 said:
it is likely a placement issue. You may have it set too forward on the head. As with any dispatch method, there is a small learning curve but if your placement is off that is a very easy thing to correct. The rabbit is definitely not too large for the device but the larger the rabbit, the more important placement becomes. We've heard from people using them successfully on 11lb rabbits without issue.

Thank you... I thought maybe that was the problem.This is still the best method I have come across. By the time I was doing the last ones I was much better....I have 7 more to do this week so I will definitely be getting in some practice.
I just watched the new video on your web page, and yes I was to far forward, the placement there looks just behind the eyes.

wildeden":3jtip690 said:
Hey everyone,

Glad to hear you've been enjoying the Ballista. It's what we use personally as well. We've tried a lot of different methods but ultimately we are most satisfied with the captive bolt gun. Fast, easy, portable.

Previous shipments had gone so fast, that they sold out before they even arrived but we're starting to get the supply smoothed out and we just received a shipment of a bunch of them today. Figured I'd check in on here since I hadn't logged on in a bit.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the device. We uploaded several new photos yesterday of the device, including photos of it broken down for cleaning.

Since I have used it several times now, and cleaned it, the trigger is too stiff to work one handed. Can I apply a bit of oil?

I just received mine in the mail today, it was shipped on the 24th. That's the fastest I've ever received anything from the USPS. I'm very excited to start using my new tool

OneAcreFarm":pidig3lt said:
Since I have used it several times now, and cleaned it, the trigger is too stiff to work one handed. Can I apply a bit of oil?

Yes, absolutely, we recommend mineral oil because it is food safe but does not spoil or go rancid like vegetable oils will. Can be found inexpensively at any pharmacy. Of course, any light machine oil would work as well since that part of the device is not coming in contact with food but we like to play it safe.

3mina":pidig3lt said:
I just received mine in the mail today, it was shipped on the 24th. That's the fastest I've ever received anything from the USPS. I'm very excited to start using my new tool

So glad that it made it to you quickly and think you'll really enjoy it.

I used my Ballista for the first time today and I am extremely pleased. By far the easiest dispatch method I've used, the hardest part is positioning wiggly rabbits. I'll be singing praises for a very long time

OneAcreFarm":245eyjm5 said:
Just got mine in the mail, I plan to video using it and will post it here for comment.

I'm just reading this thread, but did this ever happen? <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 20, 2015 7:40 am __________ <br /><br /> Also, does anyone know if this could be used on a newborn kit?

I saw a comment about needing to have the carcasses free of blood when being donated as frozen food for wildlife... why would that be? I wonder because I would be donating rabbits we cannot eat (for whatever reason) to the raptor center... the pictures in the beginning of the thread looked bloody to me.

Susie570":1797hp5b said:
OneAcreFarm":1797hp5b said:
Just got mine in the mail, I plan to video using it and will post it here for comment.

I'm just reading this thread, but did this ever happen?

__________ Wed May 20, 2015 7:40 am __________

Also, does anyone know if this could be used on a newborn kit?
I saw a comment about needing to have the carcasses free of blood when being donated as frozen food for wildlife.... the pictures in the beginning of the thread looked bloody to me.

Nope, video never happened, there is a video on the bunny rancher site.
No the bolt is to large..It probably would work,but would go all the way through...kinda messy...your best option with very young kits is to whack them on a hard surface..
The pictures are of a head with the skin cut and peeled back to show the hole where the bolt penetrated the skull, there is no blood with the bolt gun except a little bleed out from the nose. Or if the bolt penetrates the skin..this has happened once or twice to me, but it is just a small spot of blood.. I assume because the animals wont eat a bloody carcase???

Latest posts

Back