Bald Spot - Overgrooming??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toady

Reaction score
While checking the bunnies this morning I noticed that Athena had a bald spot and sore right between the eyes, I had noticed a spot further up near her ears a few days ago but didn't think much of it until this morning when I was greeted with this sight.

baldThee_zps52affeac.jpg

There's nothing in the crate that she could've caught or scraped it on so I'm thinking that her sister Persephone (they're both spayed) might have got a bit overzealous with the grooming. Should I put anything on the sore such as papaya ointment, Vaseline or lanolin? or just leave it alone?

The skin looks red and irritated, so I think she may have fur mites. If you have any food grade diatomaceous earth, you could apply a pinch to her face, ears, and neck.

I am not familiar with papaya ointment, but it would probably be safe. Lanolin would also help.

Could be over grooming or "barbering". If you put anything, make sure it is something that can be ingested...lanolin is a good idea. Could also be mites, though I don't see any flaky or scaly skin...

Pawpaw ointment is something that's used a lot down here - it's fermented papaya mixed in with some petroleum jelly which is used for nappy rash, burns, sore lips and just about anything else... I've stuck a bit over the wound but the rest of the area looks normal with no discolouration or anything.
I've noticed that they're both moulting as well which might explain some of the hair loss.<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm __________<br /><br />Well I ended up taking Athena to the vet who was "pretty sure" that it wasn't due to Seph's overgrooming but possibility mites or some sort of skin condition... I ended up with some sort of cream to put on her head and stuff to kill mites but in the past 10 days the hair has grown back and she's looking a lot better. Needless to say I should've saved myself $90 by waiting a week or so before going to the vet.

Back