Bad tempered buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seashore

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any chance that we may get good tempered kits fathered by a bad tempered buck (who has never bred before), or are the kits all likely to be little monsters too??

By bad tempered, I mean he tries to bite any time you open his door. Seems to be unrelated to the level of food in his bowl. He had his claws clipped tonight, many many close escapes on our part from his teeth in the process. He was a lot sweeter when young, though has always been feisty(he was the kit that would bite you when you picked him up from about 8 days old onward).

Mostly kits would copy their dam for behaviour, but i have heard horsebreeders talk about foals having quirks that came from the sire that the foal never met. So yes it could pass on to the kits.

Bucks really should be the friendly ones, but one thing I've seen is that some bucks are driven insane by the buck next door. We have a young Satin buck out there right now, Diamond Willow, who is everybody's favorite. But when he was younger he was in a cage next to another buck. As he matured, I noticed that the two of them spent every waking moment chasing and threatening each other through the wire, and as a result Diamond Willow was constantly keyed up and reacted aggressively to every movement outside his cage, including people. I was disappointed to have to cull him, so first I tried moving him to a cage with solid wall dividers and does on either side. The change was immediate, and like I said, now he's everyone's favorite. Could this kind of situation possibly be a factor in your buck's behavior?

Bunnies do learn behaviors from their dams, but temperament is definitely a heritable thing, and it can come from either the sire or the dam or both. We have a litter of Champagnes from a puppy-dog buck and a super cranky dam. Every one of the five bunnies always crowded up to the door for petting while the dam sat growling in the back. She bit my daughter twice and has been culled...but we're keeping two of her darling babies, including the one who not only is a sweetheart but just took 2nd Reserve in Show over the weekend. It would have been a tragedy to throw that baby out with the bathwater!

Does do tend to be the ones that get bad attitudes, which are sometimes passing phases due to hormonal swings during maturation; but like @eco2pia, I have very little patience for a bad-tempered buck. We have been breeding Satins, a breed some judges call "satans," for nearly 20 years. I've been selecting for good-tempered rabbits for that whole time, and most of my rabbits, does included, will nearly fall out of the cage trying to get a face rub.

But genetics is a statistical thing, and very few characteristics are passed to offspring 100% of the time (it would make breeding to a standard a heck of a lot easier if that were the case!). So a bad-tempered animal will probably produce some bad-tempered bunnies, but there will likely also be some individuals that do not get that tendency. While I wouldn't keep a buck (or doe) that bit - I just don't want to deal with being hesitant to open a cage door - I wouldn't necessarily rule out keeping some of its offspring if it produced some before it was culled. The slack would stop there, though - no bad-tempered babies would stay.

The deal with behavior is that maybe even more than physical characteristics, it is a blend of nature and nuture, and you don't always know what's provoking a bad attitude. Sometimes there's an experience that produces unwanted behavior, like the white doe we had who grew up in a cage in which the door opened inward and bopped her in the nose every time she was up front for petting. The situation was worsened by the fact that most ruby-eyed white rabbits become partially or completely blind. Of course she became unfriendly and raced to the back, grunting, anytime someone approached, and sometimes rushed the cage door as well, though she never actually bit anyone. Although I do actually want rabbits that are completely bomb-proof and don't need any special treatment to stay sweet and healthy, it seemed unwarranted to cull her because of my error in husbandry. She ended up producing a very long line of bunnies that were outstanding in every way, including temperament. (As a matter of fact, she was Diamond Willow's great-great-great-granddam.) All that to say, I have an almost no-tolerance policy for bad attitude, but it is tempered by what I know of the history of the animal (see Diamond Willow's story above!).

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice and experience!! Very much appreciated. 🐇💕

@Alaska Satin yes something like this is possible. We think he may have been upset by some temporary care he received while we were away once, and ever since then he has been opposite our NZW buck. It could be a combination of the two. That being said, he had a doe housed next to him with a wire and wood barrier for most of his life, and while they were good friends (and future mates) he was still psycho all that time. Still, we'll try giving him a home with no line of sight to any other buck and put a doe where he can scent her.

We'll give him a go at being a father and see what he produces before culling (he was on the cull list anyway).

We have a very sweet well-mannered doe who we were thinking of putting him with because she is such a fantastic mother who includes humans along with her baby grooming sessions and teaches the kits to love humans, lick humans, don't nip humans. Just a little worried that he may be a little too physical in the breeding process as she's a tad bigger than him and doesn't deserve to be seriously bitten just because he's beyond eager to get on, so we'll supervise closely (wearing kevlar!!).

Back