Bad, Nasty Bad Dogs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
(or just dogs... being dogs).

I was skeptical about burying the offal from processing in the manure pile, but I dug deep (and hot and steamy).
Contemplated the need for a barrier, but decided to wait and see.
Dogs have been good for 4 days, even the standard pile grazing didn't get them digging deeper.

But today my daughter forget them outside for an hour.
:x :x :x
They were feasting on bunny heads.

Now they are shut int he laundry room because I don;t have time to deal with them today.
Thank goodness hubby is home tonight, I'll make him put up a barrier LOL
Any suggestions to, um, freshen them up, along with baths?!

If their guts can handle -er - rabbit guts and heads, perhaps it would be better to let them have them fresh. I know a lot of people feed the heads and organs (wicked waste!!!) to their dogs.

But I feel your pain. Well "ripened" offal . . . ewwwww :sick:

Odor Removal. ?? If so:

16 ounce bottle Hydrogen Peroxide. (Mixed-into)
1 gallon of tap water..... (Add)
2-3 Tablespoons of Baking Soda (Plus)
2 Teaspoons of Dawn Dish soap..(The blue kind)

(Mix ingredients together well before dousing the dog.)

Use as a Drench.....soaking the dog down...let stand 5-10 minutes
then rinse thoroughly. Excellent odor remover. It'll neutralize skunk spray.
Should handle the "raunchy-rotten-rabbit" smell as well.

You may have to mix a double-batch depending upon the size of the dogs.

Yes, I should have just fed them it in the first place!
One is a Bouvier so she will be a pain to douse LOL the other is just a poodle mix, he's easy.
Tomorrow.
No bed dogs tonight ;)

MaggieJ":3mwdc6fm said:
If their guts can handle -er - rabbit guts and heads, perhaps it would be better to let them have them fresh. I know a lot of people feed the heads and organs (wicked waste!!!) to their dogs.

But I feel your pain. Well "ripened" offal . . . ewwwww :sick:

Yeah , that's the first thing I thought too .... Shoulda just given it to them fresh.

I have no solution to the stinky problem.

The recipe that Grumpy posted is great. I used it to get skunk smell off my dog, twice! :x :evil: I didn't use Dawn, just the dish soap I had on hand.

I feed the rabbit heads to my dog, and he enjoys them. I have to partially skin them because he is picky. :roll: He won't eat the guts though.

My shepard used to bring the "dead" home. Fish, deer, opossum, racoon, and other unidentifiable things. :x :lol: :lol: It was always fun. :x :lol: :lol:

I don't let my dog have anything to do with my rabbit waste (maybe the kidneys after I'm done) I bury the head's, guts and cover. I don't want him getting any ideas with my rabbits. :evil: :evil:

Dwc77":2bvxqeuf said:
I don't let my dog have anything to do with my rabbit waste (maybe the kidneys after I'm done) I bury the head's, guts and cover. I don't want him getting any ideas with my rabbits. :evil: :evil:

!!! The kidneys to the dog !!! ugh !!! sacrilege !!!

As soon as I get done butchering the kidneys , heart & livers get fried up with a little corn meal .... for me! (assuming the kids don't scarf it all down first).

Dwc77":3h1o297f said:

My dogs get raw heads(skinned), kidneys, hearts, lungs and unwanted fat or silverskin trimmings.

They wouldn't touch a live rabbit for any reason.
I actually routinely leave Mucky alone, for hours, within easy access of both my boys, and have for almost three years now.
No interest whatsoever.

They have naturally low prey drives it seems, but we also have an understanding.
Anything with fur or feathers still attached belongs to me.

Only dressed meats and bones parts placed at floor level are safe for them to eat.

They have started getting a little excited when we start bringing fryers in for processing, but they do not show any interest toward the live rabbits. It's the oddest thing, they just start watching the kitchen and my butchering table closely, knowing I'll be dropping some scraps. :lol:

I don't feed stomach or intestines because I don't want my boys to stink.

My husband is worried they will connect dead with live but I don't think so.
Even my Bouvier who is super high prey drive/kill the cat kind of girl is respectful with the rabbits (after a couple of tune ins LOL).

She actually plays with my daughter's pet buck.
I open the door to let the dogs outside (thru the rabbitry), and Boo (dog) leaps at the floor pen where Halfie lives. I was giving her heck for it, but realized the rabbit was leaping back at her!
When I moved Halfie recently, to a higher pen, poor Boo was lost and went cage to cage looking for him. When she found him, they both played their little game, clearly happy! LOL

Well I guess you guy's have better dogs than we do in iowa. I have a black lab that runs after wild rabbits, deer, barn cats, just about anything that moves! And we have had a few of those tune ins to keep him from barking at them in there cages. But if they would happen to get out there DONE. I'd have to beet him half to death to change that and I'm not going to do that. The main reason I myself don't want waste laying around because of other dogs and critters. O and I dispatch with a .22 rifle so he can't chew on heads anyway. Ramjet my family has butchered hundreds of rabbits over the years and I tried my first livers and hearts just last week. They were pretty good to next time I will try some kidneys :) I have caught a lot of catfish on that stuff so it hasn't all went to waste. :lol:

!!! The kidneys to the dog !!! ugh !!! sacrilege !!!

As soon as I get done butchering the kidneys , heart & livers get fried up with a little corn meal .... for me! (assuming the kids don't scarf it all down first).[/quote] :lol:

I'd have to beet him half to death to change that and I'm not going to do that.

I don't think beating would do any good at all. :shock: I certainly wasn't suggesting it, for any reason, ever.

Even if someone would try that with a high prey drive animal, it probably would only suffice to make their dogs miserable, and fearful, but likely wouldn't stop them from killing animals when they get the chance.

I can't really explain how I communicate with my boys, but they watch me, attempt to interpret my desires, and generally behave.
They are just naturally mellow, and I'm pretty sure that there is no amount of beating that would make a dog who isn't into one who is.

I had a (beloved) Brittany for 10 years... he was an awesome birdy little guy, who had flash to match his bird sense.
We did some hunt tests, and I had a couple of trainers who wanted to take him higher... except he was so driven that by the time he found the birds he was ready to shred them.
He also ran away constantly (follow that nose) and pulled like a beast on the leash.
The thing was, to make him 'better' he would have had to be broken~ and he had the softest heart to go with that hard head~ I couldn't play agility or show obedience with him because he crumbled under even a gentle sigh from me.
So he remained a pet and ended his performance career LOL
The cost of making him something else was too high and he simply lacked the will to work as a team.

Or my Sheltie who was brilliant but utterly could not control his barking, and it shamed him to be out of control, poor guy.

On the other hand, I have been blessed with very tuned in, attentive dogs, too.
It matters to them what I want of them.
My Bouv is like this~ she was kennel raised (brood dog) until age 6 when I adopted her (she's 8.5 now), so she doesn't always know the rules because of her limited upbringing, but once she knows, she does her utmost to comply.

Breed, personality both matter a LOT.
Your retriever is bred to work WITH humans, your pointer (like my Brittany) is bred to run ahead while the humans follow...
As much as I adore sighthounds and pointers, I doubt i'll ever have either again, because I want and need a dog who can be a partner and team player .

It would have been fun to see if my Standard Poodle had any good 'bird sense' in him. I felt like he would have made a good bird dog, but I have absolutely no experience with working dogs. :shrug: The only thing that made it useless to even try, was that he is terribly gun shy; he goes cowering and shaking into a 'safe spot' if he hears anything like an explosion. (A result of a bad fireworks experience as a young dog)
He is so smart and attentive, loves fetch and challenges to figure out. Though he won't ever be an actual hunter's dog, he does well as a farm dog. :lol: He keeps the groundhogs under control (He killed 13 one year! :cool: ) and the rats too. I can feed him offal from butcher animals, but he won't touch the live ones. If the chickens get out, he lets them be. Rabbits got out a couple times, and I just had to remind him to to stay away, and he kept his distance!
I raised him since he was a pup, so that means I have a clear relationship with him...I'm alpha, and he is not. ;) I've never hit him though to get that across. Once, a family member hit him, and it took him a long time to stop running in fear when they raised their voice at him. :cry: It is important that he is not afraid of me, even when he knows he is misbehaving. That way, if he runs off chasing something he shouldn't, I can yell at him, and he'll come back to me. He gets punished, and he learns his lesson, but not in a way that makes him fear me. He wants to please, and is incredibly smart, so that helps! :lol:

He might surprise you... My Britt was terrified of fireworks and thunder but working under guns he was fine... Because the drive to hunt was greater than his fear, and the gun was associated with what he loved :)

Back