Baby Mini Lop with Enteritis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKRabbitry

Reaction score
So unfortunately I have my first case of enteritis :(
It is a little 5 week old Mini lop buck.
I don't know what set it off. We haven't done anything different with this little guy, and both of his sisters are fine.

But it is definitely a case of textbook enteritis.

It came on fast, or else I just didn't notice it. He was doing fine just the day before yesterday, and then I found him last night. He was very listless, sitting all hunched up, with bad diarrhea.
He felt really light and was starting to get dehydrated.
So I took him inside where it's warm, and cleaned him up.
After doing some research I decided to give him a small dose of human anti-gas meds. Simethicone, basically. Also got some fluids into him.

That seemed to help relieve the pain, because 30 minutes later he was seemed more alert and even nibbled on a few pieces of hay!

I gave him another dose this morning, and again he soon perked up and a nibbled a bit of hay.
But he is far from being better. I know the mortality rate is high for enteritis in babies.

I have never had enteritis before in all 3 years we've been raising buns. I have only had two "faders" in my Jersey Woolies.
So this is new experiment.

I haven't tried getting him any foods yet.....but I've read that giving them baby food, canned pumpkin, or a few different herbs can help?

I'm not sure if it is better to keep him on just water and hay for a while, or try to give him some food?

So any advice?
If anyone has had any experience with this I would love to hear it.

Get him on oats and hay. Also pay attention to the protein % in your food incase it's too "hot". My herd gets the 15% Penpals and *knock on wood* haven't had issues and I've been feeding it and been very happy with the results for about a year now . I had a lot of problems when I had my herd on Manna pro and purina,but not all herds are created equal.

Back