Baby bunny head tilt?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
So Molly's kits are a bit over 4 weeks old, I started weaning them a few days ago. They're eating well and are acting normal.

But, one of the buck kits seems to have head tilt. I've separated him, and he's otherwise acting normal. Could this be related to weaning? Otherwise what should I give him?

When I was younger I remember the neighbors cat always tilting his head to one side. My father told me that the cat was most likely Def in one ear and thats what caused him to tilt his head. that cat always had a bird or mouse so it didn't affect him hunting. my best guess, and thats what it is just a guess. It would be that the kit could possibly have some inner ear issues or he might be Def in the one ear. Does he seem to have any balance problems or anything like that? To be honest I really have no idea. I just remember that cat and what my ol'man said.

II Arrows":hluzs6xa said:
When I was younger I remember the neighbors cat always tilting his head to one side. My father told me that the cat was most likely Def in one ear and thats what caused him to tilt his head. that cat always had a bird or mouse so it didn't affect him hunting. my best guess, and thats what it is just a guess. It would be that the kit could possibly have some inner ear issues or he might be Def in the one ear. Does he seem to have any balance problems or anything like that? To be honest I really have no idea. I just remember that cat and what my ol'man said.

Head tilt in rabbits is caused by either an inner ear infection, or a parasite. It can be curable. That link was very informative.

It can also be caused by something as simply as water getting in the ear. Treatment can take months and even then they don't always come out of it.

Opinion.. Save him, or just kill him? He's having balance issues and has been rolling. Still eating and drinking.

Head tilt only started Saturday-sunday

CochinBrahmaLover":2fvhbjp5 said:
Opinion.. Save him, or just kill him? He's having balance issues and has been rolling. Still eating and drinking.

Head tilt only started Saturday-sunday

It's truly up to you. Wry neck can take a lot of time and energy to treat, particularly when it gets to the rolling stage, as I understand it. Unless there is something special about the rabbit, I would say cull.

How would I kill him? I'd like to autopsy his brain and see if it was EC or something else.. I'm bleach cleaning everything asap..

Back