Babies and Fodder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredfeather

Reaction score
I have 2 does that are due soon. Since getting them, I have transitioned both of them over to fodder and they are doing very well. I see some are suggesting 8 oz per day for adults, which I would say is about right. I don't go off weight of the fodder, but use the same size piece everyday. I've noticed as she gets closer to her due date, she is wanting a little more each day. Also, I have been adding yellow peas to my fodder which should be pushing the protein a little higher. I am using 80% barley, 20% peas. Big Mamma goes through and eats the peas first, so they must be tasty.

Now to my question(s), at what point after the kits are born can they presented with fodder. I'd like to try using only fodder to feed them out for butcher. Can fodder be the first and only feed that I give them? And finally, is anyone successfully raising their meat rabbits from start to finish on fodder?

Thanks.

I love feeding barley fodder, my doe loves it. I have read somewhere that you should not feed greens to the kits until they are weened. IMO fodder is nearly complete and should do nicely on it as long as they have hay for fiber. I just wish I could get more enthusiasm from my chickens. that was the reason i started growing it in the first place.

camanojim":209p9arv said:
I love feeding barley fodder, my doe loves it. I have read somewhere that you should not feed greens to the kits until they are weened. IMO fodder is nearly complete and should do nicely on it as long as they have hay for fiber. I just wish I could get more enthusiasm from my chickens. that was the reason i started growing it in the first place.

So how would you prevent the kits from eating momma's fodder once they are out of the box but still nursing? I am giving the does hay for fiber. It's crappy grass hay, but they eat all I give them.

Your chickens will come around. Mine love it. When I throw them a mat of it, stuff is flying everywhere. It's almost as entertaining as feeding them yogurt. Maybe try cutting back on their feed a bit to encourage them to try it.

When feeding fresh greens, kits actually do best when introduced as soon as they begin to eat. At that stage, they are just nibbling on feeds and wont gorge themselves on any one thing. This allows them to develop the proper gut flora to digest it.

It is when young weaned rabbits or older animals that have never had anything but pellets are fed large amounts of fresh feed that problems arise and they develop diarrhea and often die as a result.

I do not know the answer to your question as to raising them on fodder alone. I would lean toward providing alfalfa hay and perhaps rolled oats to them as well... but we have quite a few members feeding fodder, so perhaps they can advise you better.

Many of us offer old fashioned kitchen oatmeal to kits as one of the first foods.

I feed only hay and a mix of grains, as well as fresh greens and weeds as the seasons allow, and the kits have access to all of it. I usually put a handful of grains in the nest as soon as the kits open their eyes. They nibble hay even before their eyes open.

MamaSheepdog":219o2acz said:
When feeding fresh greens, kits actually do best when introduced as soon as they begin to eat. At that stage, they are just nibbling on feeds and wont gorge themselves on any one thing. This allows them to develop the proper gut flora to digest it.

It is when young weaned rabbits or older animals that have never had anything but pellets are fed large amounts of fresh feed that problems arise and they develop diarrhea and often die as a result.

I do not know the answer to your question as to raising them on fodder alone. I would lean toward providing alfalfa hay and perhaps rolled oats to them as well... but we have quite a few members feeding fodder, so perhaps they can advise you better.

Many of us offer old fashioned kitchen oatmeal to kits as one of the first foods.

I feed only hay and a mix of grains, as well as fresh greens and weeds as the seasons allow, and the kits have access to all of it. I usually put a handful of grains in the nest as soon as the kits open their eyes. They nibble hay even before their eyes open.

That is soooo not true :evil: ..........

Actually it is completely true I'm just in an argumentative mood atm ;)

They are wanting more food because the growing fetuses NEED the extra protein, so do feed them more.
Best to introduce the food they will be on as soon as they start nibbling. I've noticed around a week old, some may start sniffing around the nest for other food, at 2wks, all are nibbling the food I put in the nest. When they start getting out the nest regularly, they go right for the mom's food.

Back