Attempting mating once more the following day?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
I bred a doe yesterday. I put them together three times, observing closely, but I'm pretty darn sure they only had one successful mating act--though that one I am COMPLETELY sure WAS successful...

In the past I've always tried to make sure I observed at least two or three successful matings on the same day to make sure it took (that's why I brought her back two more times), but for some reason this time Mr. Pinky was having some trouble doing his thing.

Is it too late to try again the next day to mate them? will this lead to problems, as one website I read suggested, or will it make for a surer pregnancy and bigger litter, as yet another site suggested?? What do I make of these conflicting recommendations? :?

My doe was only covered once, by a buck who had covered a different doe 4 times that day. The doe who was covered 4 times only had 4 kits. The doe who was covered once had 9.

I let my bucks cover the doe 2-3 in one setting, then 1-2 times 8-12 hours later. I'm not sure if it doesn't any good but my bucks really love it :lol: My main buck is 9 for 9 and my other buck is 1 for 1.

Thanks!

Since I posted I went and did some more research, and I found a reasonably legitimate seeming source that mentioned re-mating the following day as something some like to do, so I decided to go out and try it for the sake of making sure. However, no success whatsoever. The doe had no interest (very unlike yesterday) and kept her tail tightly tucked.

So I figure that's that! I guess now I'll just wait and see. :|<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 pm __________<br /><br />
Bad Habit":2saprwvz said:
My doe was only covered once, by a buck who had covered a different doe 4 times that day. The doe who was covered 4 times only had 4 kits. The doe who was covered once had 9.

:lol:

Repeating the breeding 10/24hours later doesn't work, the doe has already released the eggs who are fertilized by then. Also she will consider herself pregnant the next day and refuse breeding like your doe is doing.

Multiple breedings to increase litter size doesn't work either, i tried this.
It's the doe who decides how many eggs are released. The buck will fertilize all of them, and for that just 1 breeding is enough.

For example
My bew doe has littered 5 kits with 1 accidental breeding that was not planned.
Next breeding she took 9/11 times throughout the day and again 5 kits.

I just put the doe in the bucks cage at sunup then return her to her cage at sundown.

I have 1 doe that always has 4, another doe that always has 5, and 2 does that always have 8 each. The two does that have 8 are mother and daughter. I think maybe it's genetic ?

I noticed also with all my does no matter how many in the litter - there is ever only 1 buck. If it's a litter of 4 - 1 buck, if it's a litter of 8 - 1 buck, if it's a litter of 5 - 1 buck. This I don't think is genetic, I think it's because of the sunup to sundown breeding. Not sure though .. still learning.

Disney":18mf9in2 said:
Repeating the breeding 10/24hours later doesn't work, the doe has already released the eggs who are fertilized by then. Also she will consider herself pregnant the next day and refuse breeding like your doe is doing.

Multiple breedings to increase litter size doesn't work either, i tried this.
It's the doe who decides how many eggs are released. The buck will fertilize all of them, and for that just 1 breeding is enough.

For example
My bew doe has littered 5 kits with 1 accidental breeding that was not planned.
Next breeding she took 9/11 times throughout the day and again 5 kits.

Makes sense based on what I'm seeing. The first two times she had nine kits, one stillborn the first time. Both those times I did repeat breedings throughout the day though, so I'm interested to see then how this next litter compares.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:30 am __________<br /><br />
MKirst":18mf9in2 said:
I just put the doe in the bucks cage at sunup then return her to her cage at sundown.

Hmmm. Ostara (the doe) can be kind of cranky, she nipped at me twice that day. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them unsupervised that long...

I bred my doe yesterday, the buck had 6 fall offs in a few minutes! I was about to take her out after 4 times, he looked at me like 'nope' and pounced on her again, and again. I brought her back that evening and he went one more time but then she got really mad and attacked them. Curious to see how big her next litter is, the first one with me was 7 (bred through a cage apparently before I got her), then a tiny litter of two (the buck I used that time was skinny and unthrifty and has been culled).

annie":38vp9nrz said:
I bred my doe yesterday, the buck had 6 fall offs in a few minutes! I was about to take her out after 4 times, he looked at me like 'nope' and pounced on her again, and again. I brought her back that evening and he went one more time but then she got really mad and attacked them. Curious to see how big her next litter is, the first one with me was 7 (bred through a cage apparently before I got her), then a tiny litter of two (the buck I used that time was skinny and unthrifty and has been culled).

hahahha he's a stud!! lol

Latest posts

Back