At what age do the kits start coming out of the nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They start coming out at around three weeks though there is no set time.
In the colder months I will leave the nestbox in until they are at least
four weeks old often longer, but I turn the box on it's side.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

It really depends on the kits, the weather and the style of box. In many cases they start popping out shortly after their eyes open. It is a good idea to place a brick or solid block of wood at the foot of the nest box (outside it) to act as a step for them to get back in. Because of the layer of bedding, getting out of the box is easy by comparison to getting back in and kits can be lost to chilling if they cannot easily climb back in.

I've been finding kits wandering around on their own shortly after the eyes open...about 10 days. That's the angoras. The new zealands stay in a bit longer..maybe 2 weeks, as do the Americans. I have 2 types of nest boxes...one is a traditional type, where the doe hops in and nurses...and nest tunnels...3feet long, 1foot high/deep. I don't remove the tunnels at all. The nest boxes I turn on their sides after the kits start to roam around so they have a place to cuddle up, but they don't get left out in the cage.

Unless it's cold mine are out when their eyes are barely open and they are still squinting too much to see well. They usually scream if you pick them up because they didn't see you before they got scooped up. The kits from one doe are always squirming around out of the box before their eyes are open no matter how little bedding I put in the front to try to keep them from climbing out. When it got really really hot out several litters left the box with their eyes still closed to go lay on the cool mats where the adults had shoved the bedding off. I have a lot of trouble with kits not being able to get back in the boxes they get out of because they are so intent on getting out as early as possible.

Mine are often out before their eyes open, and I'm constantly putting them back in. I have average nestboxes; I don't know what it is. I put a brick in front of the nestbox, too. It works out. You may want to make sure you've got baby-saver wire around the bottom of your doe's cage, to keep adventurous babies from falling out of the cage if they get out of the nestbox.

My kits are 15 days today and they are literally hopping out of the nestbox, and eating hay, and hopping around. If I pop them back in, they will stay for a little. we're having some pretty cool nights in the 40 degree range, so I'm a little concerned. I put a LOT of hay in momma's cage so they have something to snuggle in. They are in our garage in hanging cages right now.

I was surprised to see them nibbling on hay. I'm wondering if this is because my other doe stopped feeding hers, so the litter of her 4 + my other 4 have been getting fed twice a day. They are massive and playful. They look like little toys.

Kits start nibbling hay etc. even before their eyes open sometimes. It's good for them to get an early start so their digestive systems get time to adjust before weaning... and grass hay is the best first food for them.

It's easy to prevent losing kits to chilling when they start popping out of the box. Just put a brick or something similar against the foot of the nest box. That way, they have a step up to get back into that cozy nest.

Back