At least he died happy!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katduck

Reaction score
We processed some fryers last weekend. We use a pellet gun. We placed the rabbit in an open exercise pen for a bit and then DH places the gun at the back of the head. The rabbit goes down instantly and does it's hind leg kicking thing for a bit. We touched the eye to be sure it was dead and then DS grabbed it by the back legs and carried it over to the skinning area. That's when I noticed it........There was a bunch of grass sticking out of it's mouth as DS carried it away and tied it upside down for skinning! :laugh: It looked so funny, little green tufts sticking out of it's mouth. I laughed and pointed it out to DH and he said that happens a lot. It just proves to me that the way we do it is a good way and they die instantly and happy, munching away on grass!

Exactly!

After I posted that I thought maybe people might take it the wrong way. :t_oops: I find no humor in the dead rabbit, :nono: but take joy in the fact that he died so quickly, he didn't even open his mouth to squeel.

I bumped into a lady I used to work with and when I told her I was raising rabbits for meat she said they used to do that, but she hated the way they screamed when you killed them! Having not butchered yet, I was taken aback. I did not want to hear rabbits scream when I butchered them!

DH says if we had to do it any other way, he wouldn't do it at all.

I've never had a rabbit scream... they must have been very inept at butchering. Whatever method one chooses, speed and accuracy is essential... but it is easier to ensure this when using a gun.

What I use and what I would recommend are two different things, Jadethedog.

I have a rifle-style Crosman and while it does the job, it is easier with two people. The length of the barrel is a drawback, IMO.

I suggest you get a hand-gun style pellet gun with a velocity of at least 500 fps (feet per second). I fire at point-blank range at the back of the neck, just below the skull. This kills the rabbit in much the same way as cervical dislocation (breaking its neck). Some other people prefer a head shot. In either case, a hand-gun lets you position the gun more easily.

If you are unfamiliar with guns, please get someone with experience to teach you about safe gun use. Even a pellet gun can cause injury if a pellet ricochets. You need to make sure that a pellet that misses or goes through the rabbit will stop itself in something like earth rather than bounce as it might if it hit metal, for instance.

I should ask Mike to post on this. He decided early on to use his .22 hand gun. (a pellet gun with high velocity would be as good, but we already have the .22) He WAS going to use the .22 rifle, but I reminded him of the barrel's length and that he really didn't want to be chasing a bunny around the woods. :x

He places the muzzle between the ears and pointing toward the mouth. Rabbit dies instantly, bleeds out immediately. (fire into the ground..NOT a hard surface) He removes the head right there, I think. Then hangs the carcass for skinning.

I will ask DH about the Model of ours, I know it's a Beeman. We just had to buy a new one. We went to process these rabbits 2 weeks ago and the pellet bounced off the rabbit! Shot again, same thing! Then they heard the air hissing out of the gun. Couldn't find a replacement around here so had to order it online and it took 1 1/2 weeks so bunnies got to live an extra two weeks. It's a good thing I sold all those rabbits at Easter or I would have had BIG problems with cage space.

Anyway, DH also ordered some special pellets that are made for hunting and are supposed to penetrate better and they worked really well.

Latest posts

Back