Are these rat droppings? Please advise and help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more rat droppings so I think the bait worked. I'm keeping it out there from now on. Might as well nip any new exploring vermin the moment they arrive rather than await signs. These appeared overnight in my main rabbitry where the rat droppings originally were. No babies in the cage above, so it's something else:View attachment 28531
I agree with Mariah's suggestion that those are likely cecal poops. Usually the rabbits consumer them as they are produced -- typically at night -- but sometimes they fall through or -- if the rabbits don't need the nutrients in them -- they might be ignored.

KelleyBee, if you could put an object in your photographs to give us an idea of the relative size of poops, it would be helpful. A dime, a matchstick -- something to give an idea of scale.

Congratulations on the reduction of rat droppings. Sounds like you put a serious dent in their population. My theory is that you never get them all -- others gradually move into vacant territory in time. But they usually only become a major problem when the population soars and feed becomes scarce. Then they become relentless predators.

The very best exterminator is a weasel or mink. We've been saved a number of times by them. Our house was built in 1890 and it is riddled with points of access. Most winters we have a resident weasel who lives soft on the mice that get in during the fall. It's been equally effective when we've had a rat invasion. Country living in an old house sure is interesting!

This one above looks like cecal poops to me.

I agree that it looks closer to squirrel, but it could have also come from your rabbit. I have had unusually large poops that look similar to that. You can see how it almost looks like 6 distinct rabbit berry shapes in it. Both this image and this image may help in distinguishing the different kinds of poops rabbits can have.

Continue to monitor their health. Maybe give some more water and fibre. Perhaps they picked something up from the rats.
I'm thinking you're right. This particular rabbit is my most prolific cecotrop producer.

I agree with Mariah's suggestion that those are likely cecal poops. Usually the rabbits consumer them as they are produced -- typically at night -- but sometimes they fall through or -- if the rabbits don't need the nutrients in them -- they might be ignored.

KelleyBee, if you could put an object in your photographs to give us an idea of the relative size of poops, it would be helpful. A dime, a matchstick -- something to give an idea of scale.

Congratulations on the reduction of rat droppings. Sounds like you put a serious dent in their population. My theory is that you never get them all -- others gradually move into vacant territory in time. But they usually only become a major problem when the population soars and feed becomes scarce. Then they become relentless predators.

The very best exterminator is a weasel or mink. We've been saved a number of times by them. Our house was built in 1890 and it is riddled with points of access. Most winters we have a resident weasel who lives soft on the mice that get in during the fall. It's been equally effective when we've had a rat invasion. Country living in an old house sure is interesting!
I figured the rabbit droppings and feed pellets were enough for gauging size.

This one above looks like cecal poops to me.

I agree that it looks closer to squirrel, but it could have also come from your rabbit. I have had unusually large poops that look similar to that. You can see how it almost looks like 6 distinct rabbit berry shapes in it. Both this image and this image may help in distinguishing the different kinds of poops rabbits can have.

Continue to monitor their health. Maybe give some more water and fibre. Perhaps they picked something up from the rats.
Could you educate me? What are the diseases they get from the rats and the vermin?

Could you educate me? What are the diseases they get from the rats and the vermin?

Below is a list of both parasites and illnesses spread by wild and feral rats. Not all of these affect rabbits, but many can be transmitted to humans. It is a good idea to avoid wild/feral rats altogether.
  • Bladder worm;
  • Bot flies;
  • Fleas;
  • Hantavirus;
  • Hemorrhagic fever;
  • Hepatitis E;
  • Intestinal tapeworm;
  • Leptospirosis;
  • Lice;
  • Listeriosis;
  • Liver worm;
  • Mites;
  • Monkeypox;
  • Parvovirus;
  • Pasturellosis;
  • Pinworm;
  • Rat-bite fever;
  • Ringworm;
  • Salmonella;
  • Ticks;
  • Toxoplasmosis;
  • Tularemia;
  • And much more.
This doesn't even include what the parasites would carry, either. Nor does it include the fact that wild/feral rats may attack young kits if there is not enough food sourced elsewhere. In my area, they kill chickens and even have attacked cats/dogs/humans. A pet rat was released once and took out 5 of my full-grown hens. Wild/feral can carry both viral and bacterial infections that can be transmitted not just through a bite or direct contact with the wild/feral rat, but also from exposure to their feces and urine.

If you find yourself with rats, they are most likely feral or wild and should be considered a serious vector of disease. They are also, most likely, an invasive species in your area. The ideal way to handle them would be to destroy them. As someone who has owned many pet rats (which are lovely), I know how difficult that can be but it is necessary to preserve health and maintain the native ecosystem.

Last edited:
Yikes! I knew it- they carried the black plague around to people, too! The closest thing we have to rats here is the Bushy-Tailed Woodrat, but those aren't very common. More common are the small squirrels, chipmonks, and mice. The mice are pests, though. They get into vehicles and ruin them. Dead ones stuck in ACs (ugh, the smell!), huge nests in engines, etc. It doesn't matter how often you drive the vehicle, either. One woman bought a brand new car because her other one had been so destroyed by them. She brought it home and parked it and the next morning they had trashed it. :(

I know Hantavirus is a danger when you are cleaning up or disturbing mouse/rat droppings. It can get into the air and your lungs and kill you. It is recommended to get the droppings/dust/dirt/nests you are cleaning up wet (preferably with a bleach/water solution) so it does not get airborne.

I believe it was determined that the fleas on the rats are what caused the Bubonic (Black) Plague pandemic. Just another reason to avoid them; who knows what those internal/external parasites carry.

I had a mouse living in my Jeep for a bit. Pretty destructive and annoying! My least favourite part was it running across the dashboard while I was driving. Luckily, it never gave birth like in my mom's van 🤣

I would still be wary of those wild animals as they most likely carry mites, at the very least. I know there are some illnesses that are shared with rats and mice, so it's probably a good idea to limit exposure of them with your rabbits as best as possible.

And yep, you should be very cautious with the feces and dried urine that will aerosolize. Make sure the area is well-ventilated, though, as urine and bleach will cause a chemical reaction that expels dangerous (potentially deadly) fumes.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was the fleas on the rats. Ugh.

I agree; we have some multiple-catch mouse traps set in our rabbitry and watch very carefully for signs of the mice and chipmunks. Thankfully they don't appear to be around the rabbits' cages much. Especially with RHDV2 possibly around, we have been trying to be careful with cross-contamination from anything.

That's right; I know a woman that mixed an ammonia-based cleaner with bleach when scrubbing a bathtub. Her husband found her and she ended up in the hospital over it. You can never be too careful!

Back