Are bucks with shriveled testicles still productive?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I got a buck that does the nasty quite well but I don't know if he's shooting blanks if the testicles are shriveled instead of plump. Don't know his age so it could be age or just cold temperatures. Are your productive bucks plump all the time?

Rabbits testes should be plump all the time, they are not strict seasonal breeders whose reproductive organs can shrink outside of rutting/spawning season

I produced a similar male - his testes are 1/3 the size of a normal bucks, penis looks normal

He went to a family friend and he is living with a doe, we're pretty sure he shoots blanks as they are over 8 months old and so far no kits but he is not that interested in sex and is more of a cuddler :shrug:

I noticed that when my bucks were heat sterile they were shriveled and now that I'm pretty sure they aren't firing blanks anymore they look plump again. However, this last summer was my first with rabbits so take my observations with a grain of salt. It could have just been coincidence.

This morning a doe had a litter fathered by the buck with the shriveled testicles. So the answer is they don't have to be plump to produce.

Bunny-Wan Kenobi":2zdoq0w7 said:
Perhaps the testicles are retracted for warmth, leaving empty little bags of skin?

That is what I would think, since temperature regulation is the whole reason they hang outside the body in their skin sacks. :shrug:

I agree with Bunny-Wan and bikegurl :p

My first rabbit that I got a few years ago- I was convinced he was a girl! But thats just because it was winter and his testicles were retracted and all there were, were little empty bags.

My buck retracts his testes all the time and he's defo not shooting blanks.

bikegurl":2ye90xrf said:
Bunny-Wan Kenobi":2ye90xrf said:
Perhaps the testicles are retracted for warmth, leaving empty little bags of skin?

That is what I would think, since temperature regulation is the whole reason they hang outside the body in their skin sacks. :shrug:

Petlover500":2ye90xrf said:
I agree with Bunny-Wan and bikegurl :p

I'd agree with me too... except, that wasn't me, Mom posted in my account! ;) :p

When my bucks were shrived up it had nothing to do with cool temperatures. This was toward the end of our summer temps were in the lower 80's at a minimum. They were defiantly hanging out just not plump.

Latest posts

Back