Anyone try Teff?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garnetmoth

Reaction score
Someone sent me teff seed a while ago, and I am trying to figure if I have room to grow a test plot this year. It is an Ethiopian staple grain, quite small and usually fermented to make a thin pancake/pita type bread called Injera.

As I was looking around for more info, I found this: http://teffgrass.com/feeding-teff- Its pretty equal to Timothy. Id like to try to grow it either way, so Ill try harvesting and drying the first cutting, and letting the 2nd growth go to seed to see if it is worth trying to harvest as a grain.

We have 2 jr does from last fall that are about to be first time moms, if either of them missed, they will preferentially be the test bunny but Ill feed very sparingly.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:21 am __________<br /><br />It looks like that is a yes

http://store.binkybunny.com/mini-hay-ba ... f-p73.aspx

I have eaten teff grain...I see that it would make a timothy substitute, but what might it's advantages be over timothy? Higher yield maybe? Timothy is a perennial grass, is teff annual? That would be a huge downside here, we need soil conservation in the rainy season(september thru june!).

eco2pia":kvsh7jid said:
I have eaten teff grain...I see that it would make a timothy substitute, but what might it's advantages be over timothy? Higher yield maybe? Timothy is a perennial grass, is teff annual? That would be a huge downside here, we need soil conservation in the rainy season(september thru june!).

It is 'softer'- makes it more palatable for some livestock. looks like a shorter recovery between hayings, as well.(at least here it would be) I could see seeding it in with other pasture grasses/hay grasses for some extra variety within the finished product-that way, you would still have some ground cover for the rainy season.

Latest posts

Back