Anyone try anything like this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried doing a boss fodder. It works out fairly well but I consistently fought mold. Eventually I took a 7'x7' garden area and put in a bunch of seeds. I feed my herd from that for over a month. I plan to try something indoors again in the next few months. I'm thinking about sprouting in jar though.

I used to grow wheat grass in plastic dishpans with about two inches of soil and no drainage. It worked quite well and I had no mould issues doing it that way... but you don't get to feed the root mass, just the grass. I could get two or three cuttings per planting and it required less attention than the fodder, but you don't get the quantity to feed that you do with fodder.

I love that someone is doing something for the small scale farm but I think I could do it cheaper myself.

I just need to research the fundamentals a little. Like keeping mold at bay. Looks like a soaking area a few dishpans with holes, some bleach, some seeds and some racks and I could be having fodder in just a few days.<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 am __________<br /><br />Well I found some sprouting seeds in my cabinet (for parrots lol) some small trays, etc etc.

I'm going to give it a practice try. And if it works good then I'll invest in making up a larger setup.

Yes, I want to be giving this a try, too.

Like you, I plan to give it a small run. Then I want to buy the plans and build one. She has the plans listed in that ad for $29, with tech support. I would be wanting to feed my chickens and future goats with it, too.

Have you seen the big fodder sprouting thread? 22 pages of people talking about it and trying it and such: fodder-sprouting-systems-anyone-t10317.html

Have you guys thought of just getting a kiddy pool/aquarium and adding 2in of soil, planting seeds and using shop lights to continually grow fresh grasses?
No need to buy new seeds, fight mold or anything like that.

I have 9 acres of that. lol I just want something that I can dump in there easily.

I started with some sprouting seed I already have:

1238121_10201131959235816_2117335628_n.jpg

We'll see how that works.

Secuono":1z2v5tcd said:
Have you guys thought of just getting a kiddy pool/aquarium and adding 2in of soil, planting seeds and using shop lights to continually grow fresh grasses?
No need to buy new seeds, fight mold or anything like that.
I'm hoping to replace pellets with this, and the sprouts have a lot more protein than cut grasses, apparently... if I remember right. :)

They do, they are the "total" package including roots.

I just checked and I can get a 50# bag of malted barley (that can be grown for fodder) for $20.

That can make 300 pounds of food.

That's a lot of rabbit/goat/chicken food. Plus I bet my parrots would enjoy a little too!<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:23 am __________<br /><br />Can buns have sprouted beans?

Latest posts

Back