anyone heard of it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Someone I've spoken who swears up and down that they have a registered "California Spotted." I asked if they meant English Spot or Californian, but they swear it's neither of those. I can't find anything about such a breed. Am I missing something? Has anyone else heard of it? I feel they're probably just messing with me, but I dunno. Once in a while I find out about some unrecognized breed, so I guess it's not impossible...but registered? Surely not with ARBA? Dunno, I'm still fairly new to this rabbit breed stuff.
They linked me to this image, and according to them, this rabbit is a California Spotted. (Although I coulda sworn this was a meat mutt belonging to a member here? spotted-cuteness-t9491.html)
[Image removed.]
Anyway...yeah, just wondering if this "California Spotted" is some kinda elusive breed floating around or what. :?

All of the recognized breeds are posted in the ARBA website, I can't be registered by them if it's not recognized. Perhaps you should point that person to the site.

Ok I think I may know what happened here...I have on a few occasions bumped into people selling registered Holland loops...yes spelled like that...they registered them with AKC not ARBA...o_O AKC just takes the breeders word since they dont really deal with rabbits...so yeah that might be what happened. At least it explains how they are registering mutts, not why they would steal images though.

I've seen Holland Loops and French Loops and while working at the vet Basket Hounds, Rockweilers and Wimamhimers!!! :p :lol:

Ooooo don't get me started on the AKC! We saw lots of registered mixed breed dogs but honestly, back then, the breeders doing that were just as bad. They were just taking advantage of the situation and the people they sold to. :angry:

AmysMacdog":tzn6p2ft said:
I've seen Holland Loops and French Loops and while working at the vet Basket Hounds, Rockweilers and Wimamhimers!!! :p :lol:

Ooooo don't get me started on the AKC! We saw lots of registered mixed breed dogs but honestly, back then, the breeders doing that were just as bad. They were just taking advantage of the situation and the people they sold to. :angry:

I swear, next person I meet who calls a Shetland Sheepdog a MINI COLLIE gets an earful. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've heard a lot of people saying their dog's breed who obviously don't have a clue, LOL. Dashing Hounds, Jackson Parson Terriers or Jack Daniels Terriers, West Highland Flings, Pavillions (I lol'd so hard after that phone conversation. "Yes, I'd like to have my Pavillion trimmed."), and don't even get me started on people who own a Shih Tzu and cannot pronounce it. Or worse, the ones who make it a dirty joke. Yeah as a groomer I've NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE OH IT'S SO FUNNY.........not. :roll:

I am so bad for making dirty jokes out of shihs. But I just got bit by one yesterday, ugh.
I used to work at a pet store and they made up a breed for booths mixed kittens and puppies so they could sell them. By law you can't sell ckc registered puppies in stores so it worked.
Oh, did you know that purebred Doodles have no dewclaws? People can be so.... misinformed sometimes. :roll:

Whipple":2v6260ob said:
I am so bad for making dirty jokes out of shihs. But I just got bit by one yesterday, ugh.
I used to work at a pet store and they made up a breed for booths mixed kittens and puppies so they could sell them. By law you can't sell ckc registered puppies in stores so it worked.
Oh, did you know that purebred Doodles have no dewclaws? People can be so.... misinformed sometimes. :roll:

If someone told me that I'd be all, "yeah except they aren't a real breed, also that's because the breeder usually chops 'em off when they're born." :roll:

Fuzzy,

your rabbit is famous! And a rare breed to boot! You should see if you can get any residuals for her being the spokesbunny for the California Spotted Rabbit! :p :p :p

Whipple":1x58921p said:
By law you can't sell ckc registered puppies in stores so it worked.

Wait a second here... pet stores can't sell purebred dogs, they can only sell mutts? How is that beneficial?

Back in the day before designer dogs were a hit, no one wanted a mutt, they only wanted a dog that was Registered, so it did help since people couldn't buy registerd dogs at the pet store, so pet stores were less likely to have dogs at all.

Unfortunately the pet stores managed to make mutts more popular than purebreds. So now the law is pretty much useless since the public will pay $1200 for a Morkie and rather than $800 for a registerd Yorki or Maltese. :(

I'm amazed at how many dog "breeders" can't spell their dog breeds name.
I don't know what a chiwawa is??? Plus all the people who can not spell Shih tzu!!

Also mixed breed dogs are not hybrids... A mule is a hybrid.

It's amazing how many people add the word "Rare" to the animals they try to sell to make them worth more.

Dood":3od9tbqz said:
Back in the day before designer dogs were a hit, no one wanted a mutt, they only wanted a dog that was Registered, so it did help since people couldn't buy registerd dogs at the pet store, so pet stores were less likely to have dogs at all.

Unfortunately the pet stores managed to make mutts more popular than purebreds. So now the law is pretty much useless since the public will pay $1200 for a Morkie and rather than $800 for a registerd Yorki or Maltese. :(

The reasons drive me nuts, too. "Oh, my Labradoodle has HYBRID VIGOR!!!" Uhhhno, "hybrid" implies two different species, both Labradors and Poodles are DOGS........plus both are large breeds who have extremely similar health issues (i.e., hip dysplasia) and since a lot of "designer dog" breeders don't use the ideal specimens or do general health screenings (why do we even HAVE the inherited version of hip dysplasia any more??? Vets can TEST FOR IT. If everyone tested before breeding, all inherited dysplasia would VANISH!!!!) the designer mutts are MORE LIKELY than a quality purebred to have health issues.

"Oh, my Labradoodle is half Poodle so it's HYPOALLERGENIC!!!!" Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhno, if someone is allergic to dogs, they will be allergic to your mutt, too. Poodles are not hypoallergenic, they are a minimal-shedding breed for sure but when you cross that with the heavy shedding of a Lab or Golden, guess what!!! THEY WILL PROBABLY SHED. Breeders online advertising their mutts as hypoallergenic really anger me...some innocent highly-allergic dog lover gets suckered in and then later has to ditch the mutt because SHOCK OF SHOCKS, a person allergic to dogs will be allergic to the MUTT DOG THEY SOLD HIM.

"Oh, my Labradoodle is special because it's such a rare breed!!!!" Okay, show me the working breed standard. Tell me why every Doodle mutt I've seen is different. Oh right, because when cross-breeding you are rolling the genetic dice and cannot get a predictable outcome every time. And as for "rarity," well........I call shenanigans on that. More and more people looking to make a buck are buying crappy purebreds to crank out crossbreds with cute names like Morkies, Schnoodles, Chiweenies, Puggles and so on. There's nothing rare about a mutt...the shelters are FULL OF 'EM. Heck, want a "rare designer dog?" Go to a shelter or rescue, and proudly display your designer dog for a fraction of the cost!!!!

Now.............I do not have a problem with mutts. MY dog is a mutt. She's a Chihuahua Dachshund mix. I will not refer to her as a Chiweenie. She's a mutt. A cute, sweet little mongerel dog. I adore her! She's great!!! I got her from a rescue, paid a $50 adoption fee for a pup with all her shots, plus a rebate from the rescue when I got her spayed (she was too small to be spayed before adoption). I've met people who paid literally THOUSANDS for their "purebred Chiweenie" from a breeder. I was like, LOL WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!!!

I like purebreds. Quality breeders striving for health, temperament and perfection. I like mutts. Cute little mongerels need homes too. I like them both. But the idea that "designer dogs" are BETTER than a purebred is nuts. It's a marketing scam, pure and simple, same as the "Teacup" toy dogs. It's a catchphrase to sell dogs to people who don't realize what they are doing.

I think it spills over to a lesser extent into other animals. I see it in horses...the National Show Horse aside, there's a lot of Grades out there that now get cute "breed names"...people with Quarabs and Morabs and Freisaloosas, Quarterfjords, Thoroughloosas, Quarterdales............but again to a lesser extent, since I think there's less stigma with horse people about crossbreds. Crossing two breeds to make an animal of superior utility makes a heck of a lot of sense. My first horse was a very handsome little Grade, he was excellent!

It even occasionally touches rabbits. I have a friend who is super-proud of her designer bunny. He's a half-dwarf so, you know, he's SUPER valuable and MUCH better than a fussy ol' purebred. I try not to roll my eyes at her bunny, who for all intents and purposes looks like a dang Florida White. :roll: Frankly she could have gotten a nice show animal for what she paid for that crappy mutt bunny!!!!!! But a "Half Dwarf" is soooooo much better. </sarcasm>

I don't know what to do about the perceptions, though. :\

I agree with all you posted but one thing about HD. the mode of inheritance is still unknown. so dogs with passing hips can still produce HD in their offspring. there is also an environmental component to it as well.

tailwagging":lmrtdfqd said:
I agree with all you posted but one thing about HD. the mode of inheritance is still unknown. so dogs with passing hips can still produce HD in their offspring. there is also an environmental component to it as well.

Yep, it's polygenic.

Also, the test for DM is not 100% full proof, nor is the genetic marker for it the same in all breeds.

Pet stores in many states can and do sell AKC registered puppies. Primarily from puppy mills. Tragedy in the making nearly everytime.

As far as "Designer Dogs" go....Expensive Mutts and people are crazy enough to fall for the hype.
If you want a mutt, they have lots of them at the shelter and in rescue. Save them and quit lining the pockets of backyard dog breeders. They are breeding only for the almighty dollar and don't give a rats a$$ about the genetics. Again, tragedy in the making in so many cases.

My mutt rabbits are not for sale. They are in my home to make more mutt rabbits for my purebred rescued Great Danes to eat. When I buy my show bitch within the next 6-8 months, she will come from a very respected Dane breeder with a history of long-lived, healthy Great Danes.

My rabbits being bred for sale come from show breeders and have pedigrees and I have knowledge of their health. The original breeders care about their stock and I am working with them to produce high quality pets along with my show stuff when we get there.

I haven't read the whole thread, and I've been sick all week, still feeling a little loopy from the cough syrup. But why is someone posting my image? I wouldn't mind if you had just linked to my post with that photo, but using someones copyright image is not a good thing to be doing.

For the record, my doe in the photo is an English Spot/Californian cross.

OK, so I like purebreds as well, and I think all of these designer dogs and the prices people pay are ridiculous. But, I have to speak up about the doodles. I can't speak for all of them of course, but I can speak for mine (and his two brothers that are owned by friends of mine). Ours is a golden doodle, that to our family is worth his weight in gold! My oldest son has lots of allergies and could not be around dogs. His eczema would flare up, he would break out in hives and wheeze. He is an animal lover and it made me so sad that he could not have a dog. To me, kids just need to grow up with a dog! A friend of mine had a wonderful golden retriever that he bred to a standard poodle, and he so kindly gave me one of the male pups and agreed to take it back if my son had any issues. The first week I was worried because my son broke out a couple times, but then it stopped. I gradually relaxed and was amazed when I found the pup sleeping in his bed and there were no rashes and no wheezing! The next time my son had his allergy testing done he tested negative for dog allergies! I know there is no such thing as a truly hypo allergenic dog, but Murray is definitely less allergenic! I believe my son's exposure to the dog worked like allergy shots are supposed to and helped get him over his allergy. Also, I know each doodle is different, but Murray is quite curly coated and he truly does not shed. He does tend to mat up if we don't brush him out from time to time but I'll take that over shedding any day! He also has a super protective personality and is strangely intuitive. On three different occasions he has protected my kids from our neighbor's aggressive dogs. He very likely saved their lives on at least one of the occasions. When he was still a pup he saved my daughter's life. She wasn't quite two years old at the time and she was out in front riding on a little big wheel type toy. There is a pretty steep hill in front of our house and she accidentally rolled off of our driveway and started rolling down the hill towards a busy road. Murray ran after her and bumped her and the bike into the grass! There have been many times he's done other things like that... he just seems to know things. He has an incredibly vicious sounding bark and gives me a lot of peace of mind when my husband has to work late. I don't personally know any standard poodles, so I don't know if he gets his personality from that side, but I've never met a golden as fiercely protective as he is. He weighs 95 pounds and looks like a cuddly bear but I feel sorry for anyone that tries to mess with me or my kids! I certainly don't tell strangers that he won't bite them. Anyway, I know no one was bashing doodles, per se, but I just had to brag on ours. He's truly been a blessing to our family in more ways than one. :)

isdapous":s998czlt said:
Pet stores in many states can and do sell AKC registered puppies. Primarily from puppy mills.

you can't sell to a pet shop unless you are USDA and if you are USDA then that = puppy mill in eyes of the public.
why? it is because you MUST have pups up on wire to pass USDA pop in inspections and you can't raise pups in the house. so that means they are raised in building that MUST be steam clean able. So to be USDA you are a "PM" then ARs complain about how the USDA pups are kept and YET they are pushing for ALL BREEDERS to become USDA. :?

Latest posts

Back