Anyone anything about pheasants?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celice

Reaction score
So, in my state you don't have to have a licence to own game birds, and this lady was trying to get rid of her pair of ring-necked pheasants. And I couldn't say no.

But, I've never owned game birds other than quail. Is there anything I need to know about them? feed wise, and chicks?

my rooster:

yeah__i_got_one____by_tricksters_taxidermy-d8wruyr.jpg

The only thing I really know is that they are far more likely to desert you than chickens are, so if you're not keeping them in something with a roof on it, you'll need to severely hamper their flight capabilities - clip one wing right down, for example.

As far as feed, I think they're similar to chickens in that they need grit and like scratch, but they might need game pellets rather than chicken pellets.

Good luck though! I'm sure there's tons of resources online and you'll be fine :)

yeah, he's in a pen with a top on it. he's not getting out. but I just wonder about feed I think I heard they need more protein?

A quick comparison of googled up chicken grower pellets vs game grower pellets, at least here in the UK, says you're right - there's about 5% more protein in the game grower pellets and almost 10% more in game chick crumb. I've only kept button quail and chickens so I'm afraid I've no actual experience with pheasants - besides the ones that jump out in front of my car on my way to work :>

Use a non-medicated game bird feed suitable for turkeys. Offer calcium and grit, again, non medicated. Give them good quality hay and grass clippings to scratch through. If you have the stomach for it, hang a maggot nursery above the run area. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:19 pm __________ <br /><br /> Use a non-medicated game bird feed suitable for turkeys. Offer calcium and grit, again, non medicated. Give them good quality hay and grass clippings to scratch through. If you have the stomach for it, hang a maggot nursery above the run area.

Latest posts

Back