Any market for a grand champion biter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillinley

Reaction score
Our GC Flemish Giant Blue buck bit me for the last time tonight. As soon as our doe has kits that get weaned he is out the door. Question is, a biter is not very sellable usually, but is there value in a grand champion who bites? The only other blue he's ever lost to in eight shows is our doe we bred him to. So he's got the good genetics. I would be completely up front when selling him, just wondering if there would be any market as a proven breeder and show buck.

If it was a smaller breed I might overlook it, but I can't have a 14 pound rabbit continually trying to nip my kids when they try to feed him.

It is a Darned shame,
but I don't believe there is much of a market
for a 14pound biter. I know of no one who
would appreciate a rabbit that size hanging on to them!
Then again: Someone with some experience and perhaps
needing a good breeder may take that biter on?
I believe they would not want to pay a whole lot,
as they would probably breed it once or twice and quickly
send him off to the Stew Pot. But, everything is worth a try.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

~sigh~ honestly I'd want him if I wasn't so far away from you. my only of age male flemish buck died recently (heartbroken about it) and he never once agreed to help the girls give me kits as he matured a little slower. He had just hit a year old. :( he was a biter when I got him but I got him to stop...his name was Jack the Nipper for a while then he just became Jack. I have a little 5 month old buck I'm impatiently waiting on to grow up enough to have interest but a proven buck would be a dream. It seems like I just cant find a good pushy buck that isn't either disinterested in girls or sterile ~sigh~ So don't have to many worries there might be a bigger market for him then you think..just be sure to warn people that he bites :p

There is a market, especially with his colour.

You'll get experienced rabbit people who can live with it and you'll newbies who think they can handle it but who end up injured or they'll try and pawn him off on someone else, hopefully they are as honest as you about his bad attitude.

I would have the buyer sign a waiver that you have made them are aware of his history of biting and that they won't hold you responsible for any I medical bills or liability. I do this anyway with all of my re-homed animals since I usually get them for behavioral issues, and once i have re-habilitated them I keep, give away or sell depending on how the re-hab goes.

If he has that kind of show-value, I would say sell him.
But........only to a very experienced rabbit breeder.
They've handled aggressive rabbits in the past, so they know what they're getting in to.

I definitely wouldn't turn him over to some beginner.
They may "think" they can deal with it. But, I'd doubt it.

Heredity may play an important part for his offspring.
If they show the tendencies of their Papa, all you're doing is perpetuating a problem.

And that's not good.

grumpy.

I am very curious; is biting common now in FGs? I used to raise them and just loved them, but when I bought new stock I kept ending up with with nippy, and a few dangerous, biters. I got out of them thinking it was just my area (we all shared the same lines).
But maybe that wasn't the case.

I hope you find someone who knows & is up for the challenge of wrangling your GC buck. And like Grumpy mentioned, I sure hope it isn't hereditary and that the kits you get from him will be wonderful!

Lord .. that must be horrifying .. I (my DD16) have a LITTLE dutch/harley doe that is a biter. She is wicked mean .. I can't imagine seeing that coming from a rabbit the size of a FG .. eeeeeek!

DumansArk":l5oluui8 said:
I am very curious; is biting common now in FGs?

Both of our blues from seperate breeders have bitten us but the doe was when she was young after she was split from her siblings who were beating up on her so she has territorial issues that she got over. Our blacks are calm as can be, other than the doe wanting to always eat my shirt.

here a rabbit that bites continually is a ground up rabbit. I don't care if it has 20 legs.

I would be one of those people who would buy a biter. If kits come out ok, I would breed a few litters and cull. I have a JW like that. If she I was always this insane, I'm sure the breeder would have told me. Perhaps she does not like me,but the feeling is mutual, and I don't want her here. She's too lovely to cull. I will take her to a show and ask around. Whatever happens, I do not want her in my barn this summer.

I would love to have him, but as I am currently taking a break for college, I cannot :( He is small for a flemish though, well the Flemish I have bought and bred. I had a 26 pound doe that loved to bite when carried or held, but great show rabbit grand or reserved every show I took her to.

chelciebry":31l6uyxw said:
I would love to have him, but as I am currently taking a break for college, I cannot :( He is small for a flemish though, well the Flemish I have bought and bred. I had a 26 pound doe that loved to bite when carried or held, but great show rabbit grand or reserved every show I took her to.

We do not have the room that a proper 20+ pounder would need which is why we stick with the blues and blacks. I love flemish, but I also have to be able to provide adequate space so I took the middle ground. If we ever had a 17 pound black or blue I think that would be our ideal weight.

He only bites if you are holding him wrong or when feeding him treats, he attacks the food and if your hand is in between the veggie and him he doesn't know the difference until after the bite. But he can't keep making that mistake. I don't fault him or any bunny for biting when being held painfully. It's just the food issue that is unacceptable.

phillinley":3aajt28l said:
when feeding him treats, he attacks the food and if your hand is in between the veggie and him he doesn't know the difference until after the bite. It's just the food issue that is unacceptable.

Some horses that are hand fed treats will become biters, too. The "cure"? Give them treats in a bucket.

I would use a designated "treat bowl" for him.

phillinley

Oh Yeah they take up a lot of room. I had a 4'x4'x4' cage for my doe, the bucks was a little smaller. Food biters are the worst, my sisters Polish were just plain aggressive. I have only had one bite in the cage he only did it rarely. Good luck with your buck :)

I have worked with a lot of rabbits, and biters don't really bother me much -as long as it is just a part-time thing-- but-- the ones that see you coming, and wait at the cage door to attack you, are history. There are just too many wonderfull rabbits out there, to spend time messing with one that wants to damage you.

I'd certainly think there is a market for him. While I think disposition can be genetic it certainly isn't always the case. I've been bitten a few times from my non Lionhead rabbits. I had a 4.5 lb buck that is super sweet and never bit me before bite me last month. I picked him up and he bit me in my chest. It hurt like crap and bruised the next day. It was weird as he didn't break the skin. It was like he gummed me lol. I can't imagine what it would have felt like coming from a Flemish Giant.

Back