Any ideas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
I have a NZ doe who is peeing and pooping all over her 7 kits. They are 1 wk old. They are stinky and yellow/brown instead of white. They are very cold. I change the box, add more fur, and it's all nasty again in a few minutes. She just won't stay out of the box! :evil: Taking the box away is probably not an option. I live 15 min away from the land where my rabbits are. If I leave the box out, then the kits will get eaten by the cats.
Any ideas?
I will probably cull her because of this, but I want her to raise these kits first.
Maybe if I give her a colony type setting with just her in it, then she may want to pee other places? She is in a wire cage now.

no way to take the kits out and put them in your house? you would have to drive back each morning and night anyway...or get a cheap used cat carrier and put the nest box in it so that the cats are kept out...but you still will be going back and forth alot.

I have never heard of this, strange. Is the cage small? Have you tried moving the nest box to another part of the cage? Maybe she is use to pooping in the same area that the nest box is. You could post the question on my FB page as well if you want, there are some really good rabbit people on there. www.facebook.com/fogcityrabbitry

I hope the nest box is not sitting in her normal potty corner? Can you move the box to another corner?

You might just have to take kits and nestbox out and put back once in the morning and once in the evening.

Doe should jump in to nurse and relieve milk pressure. Then remove box and take back to the house. In the wild does only nurse once or twice a day so its okay for kits to go up to 24 hours between feedings, but twice a day is better to keep the doe milk flowing.

Best of luck. You might want to look into getting some goats milk in case you have to nurse the kits by hand.
Check Pam Alley's article on bottle feeding kits. In case you need to have a back up plan.
http://www.rabbitgeek.com/articles/alle ... eding.html

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

We've driven kits to our house across town and then back again to my mom's stable when we had subzero temps out. The does are eager to feed the kits and usually do it right away so you don't have to leave the box long. By the time we are done with chores so are they.

This happens most often if the nest box is in the potty corner, so moving it may help. Otherwise, either transport the nest box back and forth or keep it in an extra cage or carrier between feedings. I don't see any other solution.

If the doe is a first time mother, you may want to give her another chance. A lot don't get it right the first time but go on to be good moms with future litters.

I have tried moving the nestbox several times. You're right though, the cage may be too small for her. Not that I am saying it's a small cage, because it's not...but she just may personally need more room to roam. I will give her a larger cage and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't work, putting the nestbox in a cat carrier is a good idea. I have one on hand. I cannot take the kits into my house, as I am only a boarder, and cannot bring any animals in the house. Thanks all for the tips. I really appreciate it! :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:45 pm __________<br /><br />So I went to switch her to another cage. But when I got there, the kits were all dead. To rebreed or not? Hmmm...She has had 2 misses already, and both times she soaked the nestbox. I'm wondering if this should be strike 3. Every time I have tried moving the nestbox to a different corner, it doesn't make a difference with her.

if you have other bunnies and don't need her genetics... I'd cull her out. BUT if you really want kits from her do one of two/three things.

1, rebreed her and keep her close if that's an issue. (for instance, keeping a doe in the house may not be a problem for you for two weeks).. means you can take the kits away except for 10 minutes twice a day.
2. breed her and two or three other does and foster the kits out.
3. breed her, leave her in her own space but have an empty cage you can put the nestbox in. and when you do your twice daily feed/clean routine put the kits in with her while you do your chores.

BEST option: #2 as it's no extra work for you.

Forgot a 4th option.
get her a bigger cage with two nestboxes. that might just foil her. She can poop pee in one and have the other for her kits.

option 2 is still your overall easiest answer though.

I don't need her for genetics, but I may need her to help fill some orders. I am going to breed her anyways. I am going to look at some NZ's a guy is selling. If I bring any home, she can probably be sold bred. Although I doubt anyone will want her. Maybe she will be a roaster. She is a black eyed white. I bred her to a BEW, and got very colourful kits. Black and white. So she isn't preferred in my rabbitry right now anyways.

Have you tried drilling several holes into the bottom of the nest box so that the urine can run out and not puddle up on the kits? If not, that's where I'd suggest starting.

Back