Any colors I shouldn't breed together?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
So I got my current Lionheads because I liked their body types. Outside of making sure they complement each other in that regards, are there any colors that I shouldn't breed together? I know only Tort and REW are currently accepted colors so I am not worried about getting colors other than those, just don't want to get mismarked kits.

Current bucks: Chocolate Tort and Pointed White
Current does: Blue Tort, Black Tort, Sable Point, Black, Siamese Sable, Seal

1. Anything in particular I should avoid breeding together?
2. Is there a particular color that would work well with most of my bucks or most of my does that I should keep an eye out for?
3. A few of these have REW in the lineage. I am not a fan of REWs. I would assume that as long as one of the parents doesn't have REW in the lineage, the chances of getting REW are rare?
4. The self black has a lot of black lineage. I am assuming that she will usually throw a lot of black kits since that should be dominant? Is that correct even if I don't have a self buck?

I am trying to get the hang of this and make sure I am not causing myself any headaches. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to know.

Thank you!

3) REW is recessive. It can hide for generations. If you'd like to know if they carry REW, get a REW to test breed. Otherwise you're risking getting them every now and then.

4) the black could carry chocolate, for all you know they did have chocolate siblings. The black could produce more selfs with your torts depending what E it has. Self is not dominant, it is the most recessive. But black is dominant. But bred to chocolate tort and pointed white you'll be able to get more blacks, yes.

Of course there's more recessives involved where you may get blue pointed white, self blue, blue tort, chocolate tort, etc. that we do not know (yet).

With 1) I believe those are all fine, but not well versed with sables, and 2) breeding the same colors/color types (ie agouti to agouti, tan to tan) will produce the best colors. So if you want nice chocolate torts breeding torts of many colors will be the best. Too light of chocolate can breed back to black sort of thing.

Hope that all made sense lol. Dood will probably correct me over something ;P

Back