Another Cat Emergency :-(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyTinker

Reaction score
Hey all, again, I can't thank you all enough for all of the help and advice. I come again to ask for more, I wish I didn't need to... I wish I had more knowledge to help you all more...

My cat is having serious health issues again. Before it was a urinary tract thing that cleared up with dietary change and some yarrow. Now, I fear it is more serious.

She has a large lump under her right jaw. She has stopped eating and was constipated for a couple days. I have given her a stool softener and thought this constipation was her main issue, until I noticed the lump. It's gotten larger since yesterday and I believe it is making it very painful to swallow.

I used a syringe to feed her today, as I don't think another day of not eating is acceptable. She has certainly lost weight and is far less active than usual, understandably.

I have done some research and a lot of people say "tooth abscess" right away, but her teeth seem fine. There is no sign of any wound on the skin either.

One thing I worry about is that she would shake her head a bit some times, and her left eye is cruddy sometimes... makes me think of some sort of eye/ear/nose/throat problem or infection. I suspect that this may be a swollen lymph-node that is retaining fluid from infection in her sinus/ear/eye equipment...

I'm not sure at all what to do, I'm close to lancing it and if it is bigger later or tomorrow, I almost surely will.

This brings me to tranquilizers, what is safe to use on her, if I need her REALLY calm/asleep so that I can work on this thing? She is very trusting and a great patient, but I don't think she'll sit still for that.

Thank you all in advance, I don't know where else I could go, if not here.

A root abscess will infect the sinus and cause tearing but you say it on the lower jaw.

Her teeth can look perfectly healthy but a hairline crack to the root is easily infected and can cause swelling.

A lymp infection should cause other lymph nodes to be swollen as well.

Bone cancer is a possibilty - my old dog is experiencing this but is still comfortable and eating but once she seems painfull or her appetite goes I will put her to sleep.

Latest posts

Back