Annoyed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So I bought a doe at the Rockton show for a rabbit breeder friend.

and I know this issue will NOT bother my friend BUT...
it bothers me.

Bought a doe.
was all loaded up, thought I'd thank the seller for letting me have her for my friend.

So I drove by and said hey.. thanks. I think my friend will like her.

He said...oh she's a good rabbit, I bought her from thus and such rabbitry. I changed her name. It used to be "rabbitry" something or other (he couldn't remember the something or other).

The rabbits' name had been changed to the rabbitry name of the person that I bought it from.

Now I'm sorry...but that just plain wrong.

The person who bred the rabbit should have their name stick with the rabbit for it's lifetime. Changing the rabbitry name to something else implies the YOU did the work of breeding it. It makes me wonder how many other rabbits have this breeders name on it that actually AREN'T the rabbits they are purported to be.

I find it so annoying.

I did write a very polite email asking if he still had the original pedigree and received a NOPE, can't recall who exactly she was. So I'm kinda stuck.

it's just irking me. I dislike feeling lied to.

NOTE: I'm being very careful NOT to mention names because the rabbit world at times is just too small.

I really love some of the folks I've met that are into rabbits. But I tell ya, the most lowdown stuff I've ever seen in my life has been done by rabbit folks. It's the reason I have just about zero desire to ever show anything.

If you are going to get into any kind of hobby, you should at least research the basics. I would think that keeping the right original names would be one of those, even if not breeding to show.
At least, I love to research everything I possibly can before I start a new thing.
If these were just his pets, then changing the names would totally be acceptable. He could of just given them call names, kept the original in paperwork. That would be smart in the business side of it all.

Can truly see how this is annoying to you ladysown. It truly is a form of deception. If I was to ever show Neville or Luna, the breeder's name would be first and foremost. It's only right and honest that all know who actually took the time and created that rabbit. I even feel if Neville and Luna's offspring were to be shown, that the breeder of Neville and Luna should be first and foremost because it's still her line. She has done an amazing job and should get full credit.

C&B, I'm with you on researching the basics before doing anything. I enjoy researching as well. I feel it's worth having a good foundation and build from there.

Karen

It sound like downright dishonesty to me. If he were just going to go by call names, why go to all the trouble of redoing the original pedigrees? I would stay far away from this character in the future.

The rabbits I just got came from Pease and Carrots rabbitry. Every one is tattooed PCR and their number in their ear. Anyone who ever sees that rabbit from now on will know where it came from originally. Takes all the possibility of fraud out of the equation.

I'm going to do the same with mine.

the person I bought her from has been doing bunnies for years. Old hand at the business. It just shocked me. It's like what?

So it just makes me suspect other stock I've gotten from him in the past, and makes me leery of doing business with in the future.

Some people just amaze me when it comes with rabbits. I insisted that my friend did not do any breedings with another breeder because of their way of using people....my friend did the breeding and only after when the agreement was made that my friend would get the best of the litter, they were simply like,"well you know you're not going to get the best one." My friend did the breeding for this person out of top lines. This person also waited for at top breeder to get a few drinks down at a show and asked to get a breeding out of of the another amazing buck (Another breeding my friend did who co owns). This person took it as the ok for ALL of their does. The top breeder told my friend that they would honor only ONE breeding. This person is a snake in the grass and NOBODY knowingly (if you've been showing here for a while) buys this breeders stock. When I started, this person sold me the doe that attacked and bit me on the face. Amazingly enough...they are a 4-H leader :shock:

hmm... a bit concerned.

contacted the breeder he said he got her from.....the breeder doesn't recognize the buck.... ACK!!!

ah well...this is ONLY my concern my friend won't care. either way he'll get a nice young doe for not too much money. but ack!

I hate to see such, really dislike it. I'd just not buy rabbits from that person again, and I'd probably breed out any rabbits I purchased from them as well...its what I've done in the past when I found out things I didn't really like and didn't want to be associated with a 'bad' person.

Tattoos are no guarantee pedigrees will still not be copied and pasted OR altered. No guarantee that that rabbit's number won't end up tattooed in another rabbit's ear either. Any one can put any combination of letters or symbols in a rabbit's ears. While it may discourage some, it doesn't discourage all.

I guess I have been a bit lucky with several of the rabbits I have bought ... the first time, I asked the breeder to tattoo the ear number and put it on the pedigree. Got the rabbit shipped in, tattoo done, then found a mistake in the pedigree a couple of gen's back, so had the breeder confirm and send me a corrected pedigree (with her sig on it) and asked her to also record the "cage name" for the bun too ... which happened to be the breeder's name. So the pedigree has the breeder's rabbitry on it, the name she gave to the rabbit and my addition ... I kind of like that kind of continuity!

Then, the next rabbits I bought, the breeder left the name blank on the pedigree, but included the tattoo number for identification, so I got to name them. So, they are listed as Rabbitry Name's Doe, etc. Another buck came in and I am waiting on the pedigree (was unavoidable delay) so I asked her to print the name I gave the buck before she sends it.

When I sell pedigreed from my breeding, I will do the same ... tattoo ear number, and leave name blank for new owner to add :cheesysmile:

What gets me is that folks think they *have to* falsify pedigrees ... and that they think they can get away with it. But, a busted reputation is not going to be fixed.

We make a new copy of all pedigrees for rabbits in our barn. We keep their original names though and always include the breeder names, then the pedigree that came with them goes behind the new one in the pedigree folder if I sell a bunny all pedigrees go with it. They all have the same information just different formats. Ours are printed portrait view instead of landscape so its a pain to have to flip back all the time, I also include our call name for the rabbit if it just had an ear number before, and a picture of the rabbit. I don't believe anyone should change a name or remove a breeders prefix from a rabbit even if they make a new copy of the pedigree it should stay the same!

So then what should someone do if the Rabbitry or Breeder they bought the pedigreed rabbits from doesn't have their name or rabbitry listed for the rabbits name ?

For example : I bought 3 pedigreed does from a breeder but the names on the pedigrees rabbits are from 2 different breeders. 3 rabbits - 2 different breeders. None of the 3 rabbits have the breeder where I bought them from anywhere on the pedigrees.

So now on my website I have listed their call name + my name and the original breeders pedigree name and tattoo numbers. So basically, if I don't tell people on my website who I bought the pedigreed does from - everyone will think I bought them from the original breeder.

I guess what I'm trying to say is ... what if the original breeder doesn't want me to list her rabbitry or name for what ever reason on my website ? I did go to the original breeders website and browsed around ... seems they are big shots in showing ... maybe they wouldn't want me to list their rabbitry name and tattoo #'s with those does on my website .. but I do. And I also mention who I bought them from.

doesn't matter who you buy the rabbits from. I've sold rabbits to one breeder, who then sells them to another breeder. Makes no mattering. Just as long as the ped follows the rabbit without name changes.

yeah, it's nice that i should be able to get the correct info. Quite the eye opener though. If someone lies on the pedigree there is ABSOLUTELY no recourse if they refuse to correct it or you are unable to find it for yourself.

ARBA won't help so it's basically too bad so sad...learn from your mistake now and go away. Frustrating.

Latest posts

Back