Animal nutrition

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unicorn":2rgezncq said:
Did you know dogs, cats, rabbits, etc., can eat just about everything we eat. See my thread under commercial feeding, titled - Feeding Rabbits just about everything we eat

My dog can't, nor can many others. A lot of dogs are unable to process grains properly. My dog has a grain allergy, and has to be fed grain free kibbles and treats. When he has grains, he becomes very itchy, his skin becomes dry and flaky, his eyes weep and his poo becomes very smelly and very soft. He also has a tendency to gain weight quickly. When he is on a proper diet of grain free kibble(free fed) and home made soft food(4tbsp at night), he maintains his weight without issue, his coat is soft and glossy with little to no dandruff and his eyes hardly weep.

So no, my dog can't eat just about everything I eat.

MaggieJ":3b3xoma4 said:
Unicorn, you can't just go and redefine words like nutrition.

:yeahthat:

Unicorn":3b3xoma4 said:
we also receive essential nutrients from love, going to the movies, going to the mall, going on vacation, having something to look forward to, going to work, going to a party, cooking, cleaning, dusting, mopping, vaccuming, eating, drinking, clothes, new clothes, a jog, exercise, loving, caring, fresh air, etc.

With the exceptions of eating and drinking, exercise and fresh air, I don't know one rabbit that enjoys the activities you mention, let alone has the mental capacity to expect such things.

If I did, I can guarantee you that I would have a whole slew of "slave labor bunnies" cooking, cleaning, dusting, mopping, and vacuuming... and they wouldn't be wearing new clothes, either.

cowgirl9768":3rd503k7 said:
Sorry hun but no...
"Nutrition - the process of providing or obtaining the food necessary for health and growth."

Took that right out of the dictonary. Note the word food. If you want to be respected you need to use propper accurate information with credible sources and see when you are wrong.

So 'food for thought' means nothing to you? Food necessary for health and growth is not just food that we eat. For example: We need - 'food for thought.' People get money and feel instantly charged into action, they have energy. Then, did that energy come from food we eat or from 'food for thought?' Also, people lose something important and tend to lose energy. So then did they not have their morning breakfast? They did, and yet feel like no energy. So there is food for the stomach/body and food for the mind. If food only means bread and butter etc., to you, I have no idea why you are on forums at all. Obviously you don't have need for any 'food for thought' here. Plus you guys don't need any NUTRITION for the mind.

Unicorn":380n1qdp said:
cowgirl9768":380n1qdp said:
Sorry hun but no...
"Nutrition - the process of providing or obtaining the food necessary for health and growth."

Took that right out of the dictonary. Note the word food. If you want to be respected you need to use propper accurate information with credible sources and see when you are wrong.

So 'food for thought' means nothing to you? Food necessary for health and growth is not just food that we eat. For example: We need - 'food for thought.' People get money and feel instantly charged into action, they have energy. Then, did that energy come from food we eat or from 'food for thought?' Also, people lose something important and tend to lose energy. So then did they not have their morning breakfast? They did, and yet feel like no energy. So there is food for the stomach/body and food for the mind. If food only means bread and butter etc., to you, I have no idea why you are on forums at all. Obviously you don't have need for any 'food for thought' here. Plus you guys don't need any NUTRITION for the mind.

No one is attempting to argue the point of emotion and well being on overall health and energy levels. We are simply trying to inform you that it isn't what the original poster has asked for in this thread.

Also, if you want people to understand your messages, it is important to use conventional language.

Zass":259uo158 said:
Unicorn":259uo158 said:
cowgirl9768":259uo158 said:
Sorry hun but no...

No one is attempting to argue the point of emotion and well being on overall health and energy levels. We are simply trying to inform you that it isn't what the original poster has asked for in this thread.

Also, if you want people to understand your messages, it is important to use conventional language.

I don't think you noticed that my response was not to the original query but to a later post that is different from the original query, but I guess you didn't notice. Next time could you pretty please pay attention.

Unicorn":100hk498 said:
I don't think you noticed that my response was not to the original query but to a later post that is different from the original query, but I guess you didn't notice. Next time could you pretty please pay attention.

I believe it is fairly obvious that your reply was a petty and whiny attempt to provoke attention, and not a response to the original query, like you assumed I meant.

This person has given herself away with the hostility and antagonizing nature of her recent remarks.

She is a troll.

I really think she isn't learning and not giving out good advise... something should be done. .. there was a reason why I asked how old this person was in the other post.. and this keeps going around in circles and not getting any where.. but making others questions on this person. I think she should move on to another group.

Cowgirl had ask about sunflower seed. The only info I could find was on calorie counter.com. regular not black oil is 250 Cal per 2oz.
I checked the back of the bag
I have and the nutritional info is different.. So the calorie count probably is as well . Any one else?

I found this in an article about feeding horses BOSS

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds have also been known to be beneficial for weight gain. With a whopping 2500 calories per pound they can be fed to add some calories to your horse’s diet and assist with weight gain. They are preferred by many owners over oil due to the fact that they provide fat along with other nutrients.

http://equinenutritionnerd.com/2014/02/ ... eeds-boss/

http://www.feedipedia.org/

http://www.understanding-horse-nutritio ... seeds.html
That there is a whole lot of calories!

I am still feeding a pelleted feed, however i am considering going to fodder/grains.

as far as nutrition goes there are many resources that i have discovered about natural feeding, i would suggest reading through grumpy's thread for fodder feeding -->> a-beginning-t21277.html

also there is a thread for natural feeding i am following closely --> natural-feed-formula-list-t12371.html

my formula is going to be as basic as possible to keep the variables down, but i am planing on alternating oat and BOSS fodder, with a grain mix that i like consisting of oats, BOSS and barley, with 6 parts oats to 1 part BOSS and 1 part Barley.

also i plan to feed a "Treat" biscuit made out of hay fines and a little molasses and grains i will make myself, probably twice a week

To round out necessary nutrients that may be missing from the diet i am going to provide a salt lick all the time, and a 50% alfalfa/%50 orchard grass hay mix free choice.

I hope this helps give you an idea, however take my recipe with a big grain of salt as i am pretty new to rabbits, i have been researching for only 2 years and have been keeping rabbits for almost 8 months, so i am still very much a noob.

Okay, small interruption here... I have removed the thread hijack, and all related posts. I have edited a couple of other posts to remove quotes of and references to the hijack. I hope y'all don't mind. If you feel something you said needs to be reinstated, please send me a PM.

My apologies to:
Michaels4Gardens
Wheels
MaggieJ
Cowgirl
Bad Habit
MamaSheepdog
Zass
Mary Ann
and Brus, who tapped out an excellent analysis.

Further hijack attempts from Unicorn will not be tolerated.

Hi-- I just posted a Vegetable list that I used 9 years, same minirex bun, you might find helpful.

It shows how to choose a daily balanced, variety diet that I supplement with fresh hay and a small amount of pellets.
They always go for the vegetables (their salad) first, then hay....lastly pellets. Sometimes not eating pellets at all.

wasn't able to make a link (I'm new here...so good old copy/paste)

Here's a VEGETABLE LIST
I've been using for 9 years (and the minirex bun just went down, but with lung cancer-- so hay + mycotoxins is my next post!)
The water you rinse the greens with helps hydrate, so leave it wet. (Distilled water will help keep kidneys clean and free of buildup.)
I feed a "salad" in the morning along with dry food and fresh water in clean crock, repeat all early in the evening and free feed timothy hay at all times.

Select at least 3 kinds of vegetables daily. I feed all organic.
A variety is necessary in order to obtain the necessary nutrients, with one each day that contains Vitamin A, indicated by ( * ) .

Add one vegetable to the diet at a time. Eliminate if it causes soft stools or diarrhea.

(!)= Use sparingly. High in either oxalates or goitrogens and may be toxic in accumulated quantities over a period of time.[/b]

Also, watch for gas-- espec broccoli and other root vegetables. And feed small amounts!
Not every rabbit likes or tolerates all of these, they will let you know. Watch the poops!-- like reading tea leaves. Very important especially when giving new food. Also the quality of the food makes a big difference.

Alfalfa, radish and clover sprouts
Arugula (!) *
Basil
Beet greens (tops)*
Bok choy
Broccoli (mostly leaves/steams) *
Carrot and carrot tops*
Celery
Cilantro
Clover
Collard Greens*
Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)*
Endive*
Escarole
Green peppers
Kale (!)*
Mint
Mustard greens*
Parsley* flat leaf is best
Pea pods (the flat edible kind) *
Peppermint leaves
Radish (tops only)
Rasberry leaves
Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf) *
Baby Spinach (!)*
Watercress*
Wheat grass

I also use organic flat leaf parsley, basil and others for "treats" instead of commercial items. My rabbits prefer the list... and won't even eat anything from a bag. Bonus also-- these are all non-fattening. :D Bun appetite!

Back