angora price

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
just out of curiosity
what is the going price for wool?
I was given a rough ~5-10 dollars an ouch

The overall average price is $6.00 U.S. an ounce. The lowest I've seen is $4.00. Highest is $11. (that was from a lady who plucks and lays the fiber in a single layer on tissue paper). A lot depends on the market in your area. Longer wool will sell for more. Some spinners prefer plucked over sheared, some don't care. White tends to sell better because it can be combined with any other color and type of fiber to create a 'cloud", and it can be dyed really easily.

ETA: there really is no way to sell to the commercial industry, btw. The Chinese have it all sewn up. They are able to raise rabbits for the wool, ship to the U.S., and sell it for something like $1.00 an ounce. So the folks who raise angoras are really selling to hand spinners, not the industry.

Can we buy any of the Chinese wool for $1 an ounce? I can't get enough wool off the bunnies to keep my spinning wheel busy.

:lol: If you order a container-full I bet you could get it. I know containers for other things from China are about the size of a semi-trailer. :eek:
hmm. I think I'll go research that idea. I wonder what shipping costs are...?

Anntann":1ydd150n said:
ETA: there really is no way to sell to the commercial industry, btw. The Chinese have it all sewn up. They are able to raise rabbits for the wool, ship to the U.S., and sell it for something like $1.00 an ounce. So the folks who raise angoras are really selling to hand spinners, not the industry.

This is priceless information, thank you. I want to raise some angora for wool and I am here to count the cost and learn how to keep them happy BEFORE acquiring my own.

I'd guess most of the imported angora fiber is from Germans and Giants? Lesser quality fiber but a lot more of it is what folks have told me is the difference between the breeds.

Latest posts

Back