And so it begins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinea

Reaction score
Well, it seems we are going to be starting our new cage setup this weekend! I have the design drawn up, but have one big question before we start: how tall should the cages be?

I am thinking of silver foxes at this point, and am going back and forth between 18 and 24 inches tall for the cages. With 18, I can get away with a second tier of cages down the line. But if the buns would be happier with 24", I would go with that.

HELP!!!<br /><br />__________ Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:46 am __________<br /><br />Oh, the other cage dimensions would be 36" long and 30" deep, for both does and bucks.

SF are considered a large breed, so taller might be better. We have 18" for our 3 and they can all sit up on their haunches just fine in them...but then they're only about 4 months old and have some growing to do. Still, if it works better space wise, I would think the 18 should be fine. Ours are 18 x 24 x 36...I'm a tad "vertically challenged" so I worried about reaching to the back of a 30" cage, LOL.

I would go with 18" keeping in mind your own future happiness as well. We all know that you will be adding that second tier at some point, even if your Hubs hasn't caught on yet! :mrgreen:

The only rabbit that I have that "needs" a taller cage is my somewhat loony Beveren buck- the doe is content in an 18". I will be making him a taller cage out of some cages I bought off of Craigslist that I am retrofitting.

Thanks to you all for the fast info! As you can tell by the time of this post, this cage building is keeping me up tonight.

MSD, I'm gonna keep hubby from seeing your post. Somehow.

"I just want two breeds honey, I promise. That's it. Just 2 does and a buck of each of the two breeds. I won't go crazy." He probably has that written down and dated somewhere.

Marinea":368hivbh said:
"I just want two breeds honey, I promise. That's it. Just 2 does and a buck of each of the two breeds. I won't go crazy." He probably has that written down and dated somewhere.

As long as it isn't notarized, he has no legal recourse. ;)

Let the bunny collecting begin! :p

Marinea":5ll6f0dy said:

Yeah, that was my story, too. I already have 8 rabbits and I haven't even gotten my NZ trio yet :oops:

The stackers are 18. Just enough that the rex doe can sit on top of the nest box and have room to turn around. The SF seem ok with it. 30 deep is ok on the mid level, but a trial for the top and bottom levels.

I'd go for 24" tall.. so they can really stretch those backs fully. Imagine a life where you couldn't stretch out your back completely..ever.. I've seen how tall my little rabbits are when they stand up alert. Lying down to stretch just isn't the same thing, in my opinion. :)
Is there no way to set it up so you can fit 24" on top of each other? (that's what I think you said you could do with 18?) Put the lowest set a bit lower?

Anyhow, congrats to the start and good luck! :)

I prefer the 24 inch height-- yes, they can sit up on their haunches at 18, but 24 lets them stretch out on the back toes!!!. Throw hay on top of the 24 inch cage and the rabbits get a lot of good stretching exercise in! Also permits a bit of extra room for a shelf, if you are so inclined..

Well, the design has changed...

we were visited by a different fairy- one who changed the length of our metal tubing! As of now, it appears we will have cages as follows:

2 seven foot long cages, each with 2 holes of 42"x30" by either 18 or 24" high (still debating). Based on the amount of metal we have for legs and such, the cages will probably be 18" high so that we can add a second row if needed (ha!) down the road.

1 five foot long x 30" x 18" grow out cage.

Deconstruction of the metal shelving units starts this week, so that we will have the broken down pieces to start building the cages. Pics will follow as we progess, if anyone is interested.

I find that even my satins and English Angoras appreciate the taller 24" cages, and my Silver Foxes will regularly stand up and stretch ... first the front legs are stretched out, usually with a big, gaping yawn, then the back legs are stretched out, hop over for a sip of water, then stand up and pull hay from the top of the hay rack. And, when I come by, they stand in the corner closest to my approach :pinkbunny:

Back