american sable

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
What are the genetics of a sable, american sable rabbit? I am talking with someone who has sable does and seal bucks. Most breeds I know cross to himi to get the single sable gene and avoid seal but what I can find of american sables says they are chinchilla and sable, correct? They are just self so the sable shows and not the chin? If so I'm thinking of getting a pair because I love the sable and seal but dislike himi and can never sell them with their red eyes.

I finally found someone with american sables, and I'm considering crossing it with my Rex to see if I can get sable in my lines. aa cchl_ From what I've been told, that sable gene rides the C locus, and can be hidden by chin gene, I find the explanation very confusing.

Normally chin trumps sable but chin works with agouti so if you have no agouti and a self rabbit I'm assuming you fall back on to the sable coloring to an extent. All the american sables are much darker than a sable netherland or mini rex which are based on sable plus himi instead of chin plus sable which is what it sounds like the american sables are. The american sables are still chocolate while my sable netherland is tan.

akane":3bqrmfns said:
Normally chin trumps sable but chin works with agouti so if you have no agouti and a self rabbit I'm assuming you fall back on to the sable coloring to an extent. All the american sables are much darker than a sable netherland or mini rex which are based on sable plus himi instead of chin plus sable which is what it sounds like the american sables are. The american sables are still chocolate while my sable netherland is tan.

I did notice that. Sable Rexes seem to be quite darker than my sable hollands too. Seems like that was why I was told not to introduce self into my chin line. I bred my REW to the chin, hoping maybe she carried chin light, but the first time I got all chins, this time I got REWs, chins and a self, but I think it's a self chin. I got 3 agoutis and three REWs breeding the REW back to his mother, so I'm guessing he is an agouti.
I might try breeding the chin to my broken black buck, he carries dilute, but I can always feed the what doesn't work right.

Back