American color genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
I am going to buy a pair of Black Americans today. If I breed them together is there any chance of getting blue from them?

Possibly... Do they have any blue on the pedigree? I would think so since that's the most desirable color. If they have a blue parent they can definitely throw blue with another rabbit that has the gene. If the parents are not blue then it's not guaranteed but likely if they have several blue relatives.

Then the must carry a dilute gene and when bred togeather you should get 75% black and 25% blue, assuming they don't have other genes like REW or chocolate :)

Their father had 2 white parents. The doe's great grandparents where almost all blue (except 1 black and 1 white) and the buck's great grandparents where almost all blue (except 1 black).

Sorry but it's not possible to get coloured kits from two white parents - they can ONLY produce more whites so there is an error somewhere and I now worry if there are other errors and if you could get blues :shrug:

REW x REW always equals REW. There is no exception I know of in the US. The genetics are no different than every other rabbit. The colors are just supposed to be very very limited. The rew is a bit of a minefield to throw in a color restricted breed because all sorts of odd things can hitch a ride. With pure genetics you should get only rew and blue. The rew are blue but the blue is hidden under the white which is why you only get blue when breeding them out to a blue. This doesn't work in practice though because of things being crossed in. Agouti and steel are commonly found in REW new zealand, which are usually a logical choice for adding rew to a different group of rabbits. Tort could be carried even by the blues and you wouldn't know until you happened to get a tort.

I see what ya'll are saying. I will get in contact with the original breeder and see what he says. And while I would love to get some blue kits out of them, if I don't it won't be that bad. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:42 am __________ <br /><br /> Just got a message back and they said he did come from 2 whites so I don't know :shock:

Well hopefully the breeder got the mothers colour correct and their black or blue father will carry REW, which means you will get blacks and maybe blues and REW kits (who could be secretly blue hidden under white fur :mrgreen:) in the pairing

Many American whites are not blue under the albino cloak, but rather steels or chestnuts from outcrosses to New Zealand whites. But no matter what, you would not get anything but REW from a REW x REW - something did not go down as planned by that breeder. Still, it sounds like that rabbitry had only white, blue, and black available, so as the others said, you'll likely have a 25% chance of getting blues out of your pair. Best of luck, and enjoy your new buns!

JessiL":12bzd1n5 said:
Many American whites are not blue under the albino cloak, but rather steels or chestnuts from outcrosses to New Zealand whites. But no matter what, you would not get anything but REW from a REW x REW - something did not go down as planned by that breeder. Still, it sounds like that rabbitry had only white, blue, and black available, so as the others said, you'll likely have a 25% chance of getting blues out of your pair. Best of luck, and enjoy your new buns!

I didn't want to push the issue with the breeder too much. He did say that the fathers mother still sometimes produces blacks so I don't know. I got a great deal for them ($30 for the pair) from a guy that I have bought rabbits from before. They sell for $40 each around here so it was a great deal. I think the breed is neat and hope to help it make a comeback from near extinction. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:36 pm __________ <br /><br /> So the doe kindled today and had a nice litter of 7. It appears that 4 are black and 3 are blue. I'll add some pictures in a little bit.

Latest posts

Back