American Chinchilla PICS!!! Do they meet the breed standard?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegMTL

Reaction score
So I picked up these three last Saturday. They are 8 weeks and are all does but we will see since they are still young.

I have some pictures of them so I'd love to see what any breeders think of them. Are they to standard? I've checked the ARBA site but it's not obvious to me as it might be to veteran eye :)

They are a bit skittish still so were a bit difficult to take nice photos by myself.

__________ Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:30 pm __________

More photos... :bunnyhop:

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_5299.jpg
    IMG_5299.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_5303.jpg
    IMG_5303.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,755
  • rabbit_1.jpg
    rabbit_1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,755
  • rabbit1.jpg
    rabbit1.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 1,755
  • rabbit_2.jpg
    rabbit_2.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 1,753
  • rabbit2.jpg
    rabbit2.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 1,753
  • rabbit_3.jpg
    rabbit_3.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 1,753
  • rabbit3.jpg
    rabbit3.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 1,753
I think they are very nice looking. The one doe has more of a brassy color but that, I'm told, usually molts out.

Cute kits!
You will have to wait for them to finish growing to see if their senior weight and finished body shape will conform to ARBA's American chinchilla standard.

Ah ok, I will wait and see then. :D They are from a lady who used to be a registered breeder for them a few years ago, so even though they came without papers I am optimistic they should be fairly nice. :D

Does anyone know at what age they are senior weight? I find it very difficult to find any information specific to the breed other than from the livestock conservation website.

American Chinchilla is a 6 class breed. So you have Junior buck/doe, intermediate buck/doe, and senior buck/doe.
Junior rabbits will be under 6 months, intermediates are 6-8 months, and seniors will be over 8 months.
Most breeds will have a minimum weight requirement (ie by intermediate age the rabbit needs to be XXlbs at least).

ARBA lists maximum weight as 12lbs for the breed. Different lines have different growth rates (I think this is a breed that has some size issues?) but if you have a well growing line I'd expect the rabbit to be 9-11lbs at 8 months. A slower growing line might have a lag.
I can't find any other info, you'd probably need to check the Standard of Perfection to find out the minimum weight requirements, or if someone has a copy they could look it up for you.

The 2011-2015 ARBA Standard of Perfection says

Junior bucks & does: Under 6 months of age, not over 9 pounds. Minimum weight 4 1/2 pounds.
Intermediate does: 6 to 8 months of age, not over 11 pounds.
Intermediate bucks: 6 to 8 months of age, not over 10 pounds.
Senior does: 8 months of age and over, weight 10 to 12 pounds.
Senior bucks: 8 months of age and over, weight 9 to 11 pounds.

And btw, those are some VERY beautiful rabbits! :p :p :p

Winterwolf":3nm08v9z said:
The 2011-2015 ARBA Standard of Perfection says

And btw, those are some VERY beautiful rabbits! :p :p :p

Dood":3nm08v9z said:
It is hard to tell from pictures but they look pretty descent

Thank you!! I think they are beautiful. There's a ARBA show this weekend that I could still enter, but I'm not sure.

You should go and see how it works.

If you do enter your rabbits please brush up on bio-security precautions you should take to avoid bringing in a disease to your barn

I stopped showing because of the obviously sick rabbits I was seeing at shows :angry: and with 20 to 60 rabbits at any one time in my herd I just didnt want to run the risk of an outbreak :x

Dood":1sbw9463 said:
You should go and see how it works.

If you do enter your rabbits please brush up on bio-security precautions you should take to avoid bringing in a disease to your barn

I stopped showing because of the obviously sick rabbits I was seeing at shows :angry: and with 20 to 60 rabbits at any one time in my herd I just didnt want to run the risk of an outbreak :x

That is a very good point Dood. I think we will go check out the show this year and maybe enter next year?

Latest posts

Back